Thread: Truth in Love
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2008, 04:45 AM
fundy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin54 View Post
So show me how that verse is misapplied, or more accurately, answer me this:

Can you question someone's legitimacy and expect that person to not take offense?

Paladin, you seem intent on turning this into an argument...I am not interested.

To answer the first part of your post, please refer to Jeff's post (#18) which I feel answers the question of the misapplication.

In answer to the second part of your post....yes. For your understanding, I will expand on that and explain a little more fully.

If you look in any dictionary and you will find the following ( or similar)

bastard
3 entries found.

bastard[1,noun]bastard[2,adjective]bastard wing

Main Entry: 1bas·tard
Pronunciation: \ˈbas-tərd\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French, probably of Germanic origin; akin to OldFrisian bost marriage, Old English bindan to bind
Date: 14th century
1: an illegitimate child
2: something that is spurious, irregular, inferior, or of questionable origin
3 a: an offensive or disagreeable person —used as a generalized term of abuse b: man, fellow
— bas·tard·ly adjective

Now, as I said in an earlier post, the tone of voice, body language and time and place of use of this word ( insult) determines the response you can expect. For example upon meeting a friend you can say "G'day you fat ugly bastard" and expect a simliar friendly type of insult in return.
Winding down the window of your car and greeting the traffic cop in this manner is not a good idea....unless he is one of your friends.

This is an extreme example and is not intended to suggest that all Australians go around insulting each other to this degree..but many do, quite happily.

The fact remains that friendly jibes and insults are an accepted way of communicating affection and acceptance in this country. I'm sorry if you cannot accept or understand this.

While sin is rampant in Australia, your ignorance of methods used in friendly communication within ANY culture, not just mine, do not make them sinful in and of themselves.

fundy

Last edited by fundy; 04-03-2008 at 04:49 AM.