View Single Post
Old 03-28-2008, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbiwolski View Post
Then, the signs were around until the NT was "complete." When John penned his last words, the signs dissappeared, or maybe when the books were all gathered into one canon, then they were "done away."

Or, perhaps, (in his final words) Paul left Trophimus "at Miletum sick" because the gifts were already gone, long before the NT was "perfect."

Time and time again, y'all try to make it (that which is perfect) the Book and it just doesn't work.
It works!

In Colossians 1:25, Paul says his ministry was to "fulfil" the Word of God. His epistles are going to perfect that which is lacking in the whole revelation of God. If you've read well my previous posts, I said that John's "Revelation" added nothing new to OT revelations (prophecies) except to add more details. But Paul's was TOTALLY NEW for it was hidden in th past.

When it was revealed to him, God had to give him apostolic signs to validate his ministry - "to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery" (Eph. 3). As he reaches to the end of his journey, and the lacking revelation has been perfected, signs have ceased.

John wrote the last book in the Bible and was given the details of revelations REVEALED BEFORE, but Paul was the last apostle given the last revelaton NOT REVEALED BEFORE. Thus, when that which is perfect is come (the complete revelation of the Word of God), that which is in part shall be done away (sign gifts).

Sign gifts and added revelations are gradually recalled to the end of the canon. For example, since the completed revelation of the mystery and the dispensation of grace was given to Paul, signs have ceased; and after John the Apostle have penned the prophetic book of the Revelation, there were no more God-ordained extra-Biblical visions and revelations.

See? It works.

I don't know if anyone can prove that Polycarp, Ignatius, Justin Martyr or any of the "church fathers" ever spoke in tongues, healed miraculously, received extra-Biblical visions and revelations, and delivered extra-Biblical prophecies. The next person I remember (there may be others) in church history, who claims to have seen a vision, was the Roman Catholics' first "pope", Constantine. Some of the latter ones who received extra-Biblical visions were Joseph Smith and Ellen White. Of course, there are many others, since they do not believe that "that which is perfect is come".

Let me remind everyone that the context of the "charity" chapter (1 Cor. 13) is signs. They sure need charity during the Acts transition period. The gift of tongues is one of the signs and it (1 Cor. 13:8) shall cease when that which is perfect is come. If it's not the complete revelation of God's Word, then what is it? The only verse that tell us that tongues SHALL CEASE is 1 Cor. 13:8, and the only verse that tell us WHEN it shall cease is 1 Cor. 13:10. If that which is perfect has not come yet, then "forbid not to speak in tongues" till that comes (1 Cor. 14:39).

Last edited by Biblestudent; 03-28-2008 at 08:56 AM.