View Single Post
Old 03-27-2008, 10:20 PM

Bro. George,
I agree with what you said, although that I'm not quite convinced that it excludes the canon of Scriptures.

I seldom consult commentaries except that of Bible believers (although they're still scarce here), for I was taught the best commentary to the Bible is the Bible.

So I re-read this passage again, and here are some of my observations:

1 Corinthians 13:8 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.
9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.

Here, Paul is talking about something incomplete - "in part". As you know, 1 Corinthians was written during the Acts transition period. Other than the gospel of grace, Paul knew when he wrote 1 Corinthians that God progressively reveals His Word to him in "visions" and "revelations" to come (2Cor. 12:1). Since the only sure sign that he speaks the Word of God is to have these sign gifts to confirm the word, they have to have that. But...

1 Corinthians 13:10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

So I believe that that which is perfect refers to the complete revelation of God (dispensationally speaking, the full revelation of the mystery to Paul), thus, the completed Word of God, and that includes the canon (if we believe the complete Word of God is the canon of 66 books).

Colossians 1:25 Whereof I am made a minister, according to the dispensation of God which is given to me for you, to fulfil the word of God;
26 Even the mystery which hath been hid from ages and from generations, but now is made manifest to his saints:

God is gradually revealing to Paul the mystery, and so that what Paul writes "fulfills" the Word of God.

But during the Acts period, when Paul wrote 1 Corinthians, there are still things not so clear:

1Corinthians 13:12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

But now, what was unclear is now made "manifest":

Colossians 1:26 Even the mystery which hath been hid from ages and from generations, but now is made manifest to his saints:
27 To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory:
28 Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus:

I further observed that in 1 Corinthians 13, there is no reference to Christ being the one spoken of as "that which is perfect".