View Single Post
Old 03-04-2008, 09:12 AM

Choosing selected passages and ignoring the context of the plain English is the problem.

Acts 2:4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.
Acts 2:8 And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?
9 Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia,
10 Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes
11 Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.

Tongues were spoken to and understood by the audience. Peter never spoke to himself and no one did not hear him and no one did not understand him.

Acts 10:46 For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter,

It was not a silent praying. It was heard for it was SPOKEN.

Acts 19:6 And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.

It was heard. There was no "silent speaking" in tongues.

1 Corinthians 12:10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:

What divers kinds of tongues did you speak? Cretian, Arabian, Mesopotamian, etc.? What is the interpretation?

1 Corinthians 14:18 I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all:

Speaking in tongues is not a choice. It is a gift for a specific purpose. Paul spoke in tongues as a sign of his apostleship and to reach the Jew, for it is a sign to the Jew. [Now, ignore these verses again and call it bias.]
2 Corinthians 12:12 Truly the signs of an apostle were wrought among you in all patience, in signs, and wonders, and mighty deeds.
1 Corinthians 1:22 For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom:
1 Corinthians 14:21 In the law it is written, With men of other tongues and other lips will I speak unto this people; and yet for all that will they not hear me, saith the Lord.
22 Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.

I do not speak in tongues not because I do not want to. I do not have it.
1 Corinthians 12:30 Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?
If you have it, talk to me in Hiligaynon.

1 Corinthians 14:39 Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues.
1 Corinthians 14:34 Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law.
1 Corinthians 14:28 But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.
1 Corinthians 13:8 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.

1 Corinthians 14:14 For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.
1 Corinthians 14:15 What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.

Again, tongues are a SIGN for Israel:
Acts 2:5 And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven.
14 But Peter, standing up with the eleven, lifted up his voice, and said unto them, Ye men of Judaea, and all ye that dwell at Jerusalem, be this known unto you, and hearken to my words:
22 Ye men of Israel, hear these words; ...
29 Men and brethren, ...
36 Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly,...

Last edited by Biblestudent; 03-04-2008 at 09:17 AM. Reason: delete portion