View Single Post
Old 03-29-2008, 06:36 AM

Revangelist, you said it right, the Word is what is important--and the Word is what will cause a person to come under conviction and be born again [faith cometh by hearing and hearing by the word of God], and when a person is born again, the Bible says that all things become new, and we walk in newness of life....if the music we're playing in Church sounds like the music of my "old life", I would be afraid it might become a stumbling block to me.....As far as doctrine overwhelming new Christians, I am a minister, but I would never "preach at someone", it isn't my job:
Quote:
Joh 16:7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.
Joh 16:8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:
The margin gives convince for reprove--The Holy Spirit's job is to convict people of their sins, and He does a wonderful job of it. New converts are just that--new--the Bible says
Quote:
2Ti 2:20 But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and of silver, but also of wood and of earth; and some to honour, and some to dishonour.
We should all continue to grow, and we need to be in a church which promotes growth [full of Christ's love] But I have to say I would not be comfortable going to a Church where people looked and acted just like the idolatrous world, listened to music inspired by the idolatrous world, and were not convicted by it....if the Word [KJV] is being preached, there will be [should be] conviction....

I read through this entire thread again this morning and realize I have already repeated in my earlier posts what many others have already eloquently said--a lot of good thoughts from good people whether we all agree or not. But I'll end with one more thought--I've had to read a lot of books before being ordained and of course, every minister to be has either heard of or had to read "The purpose driven church"--I didn't make it very far in the book, because he stated in the very beginning of his church in Saddleback, CA he got aggravated at all the infighting in his "church" about music and decided to pass out 3x5 index cards with the question--what kind of music do you listen to?? and 95 percent said they listened to adult contemporary, [does anyone see the humor in that besides me?] [sounds like a good place for a revival][I assume they have no Christian stations in CA]and based on that he decided to become an "unapologetic contemporary church" [again I refer you to Matthew 7:21-23], and as far as how important he thinks the Word is, I need only one quote: "When Gods Word is taught in an uninteresting way, people just don't think the pastor is boring, but that God is boring" to which I reply--God's Word is NEVER uninteresting--[can you guess where he was headed with that--away from the KJV] needless to say, music was most prominant in his church design. I close [finally] with these questions: do we really need new music to bring people to Christ?? Will the dawn of CCM truly help the Kingdom of Heaven??

Remember the Word:

Quote:
Jer 6:16 Thus saith the LORD, Stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls. But they said, We will not walk therein.
[sorry this was so long, but I'm done]

God bless