View Single Post
Old 11-01-2008, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody1611 View Post
Quit sitting around and do something. Get right and do something for God. You might not have long to do it because the Lord might come tomorrow.
Hello Brother Cody. Thank you for sharing your heart. I would like to share some things with you that God has taught me through a severe, disabling, physical trial. I served as a pastor for over 10 years, taught for over 25 years, and labored in ministry and duty. Then I developed secondary progressive Multiple Sclerosis.

Through my personal trial, God has taught me that the Christian life is not in my “doing,” but it in my “being.” Being a follower of Christ results in doing, even from a wheelchair! I am truly blessed and thankful to be in a literal position of not being able to do very much, because it has stripped me of self and taught me to trust in the sufficiency and the preeminence of Jesus Christ. The passage He used to speak to my heart at my lowest point in life was in John.

John 15:1-5 I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman. Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit. Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you. Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me. I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.

The teaching of abiding in Christ is not limited to our initial salvation (receiving Christ), but to our entire Christian life. Abiding in Christ includes both our “positional” relationship and our “operational” relationship. In other words, our being results in our doing. “For without Him we can do nothing, but through Him, we can do all things.”

“Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new” (2 Corinthians 5:17).

Think about His parable in John 15. A branch does absolutely nothing except abide in the vine, receive the care of the vinedresser, soak up the Sun, and bear fruit. In like manner, we should abide in the True Vine, receive care from the Vinedresser, soak up the Son, and bear fruit, more fruit, and much fruit.

In our Christian life, we often develop a mindset that it’s our responsibility to “produce” the fruit by doing instead of simply being. We plan, work, strive, labor, and commit to doing our part, instead of abiding in Christ and yielding the fruit He desires to produce in our lives. As a result, we fail to live a life that is simply directed by Christ. I am not suggesting we “will” do nothing, I am saying we “can” do nothing. When we truly comprehend “without Him I can do nothing” we “will” begin doing something genuine and yielding the fruit He desires to bring forth in our life.

If we abide in Christ—husband, will you love your wife as Christ loved the Church? Wife, will you submit to your own husband as unto the Lord? Children will you obey your parents in the Lord? And parents will you train your children in the way they should go? Will you tell others about Jesus Christ? Will you love others? Will you have an effective prayer life? Will you possess inner joy? Will you think on things that are true, honest, just, pure, lovely, and of good report? Will you rejoice evermore, pray without ceasing, give thanks in everything, abstain from the appearance of evil, and hold fast to that which is good? Will you keep His commandments?

Would you rather compile a list of duties and through drive and discipline attempt to keep that list? Or would you rather abide in Christ and bear much fruit?

So what are we left with doing?

Colossians 2:6-10 As ye have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk ye in him: Rooted and built up in him, and stablished in the faith, as ye have been taught, abounding therein with thanksgiving. Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ. For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power:

I pray that my “puny” attempt to share this truth encourages you and others to simply,

Matthew 11:28-30
Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.