View Single Post
Old 07-30-2009, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jassy View Post
Sis Amanda,

I think there is a huge difference between JUDGING and DISCERNING. The Lord Jesus Christ is going to be judging us according to Paul's gospel:

Romans 2:16 - In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my [Paul's] gospel.

We are not called upon to be a judge. But those that are spiritually strong, should have the ability to DISCERN, using the Word of God.

Hebrews 4:12 - For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

Hebrews 5:14 - But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

1 Corinthians 2:14 - But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

We are supposed to judge THINGS - to see if they are spiritual (from God's Word) but not PEOPLE.

According to the Bible, Satan is the "god of this world" - so we do need to be able to judge between BELIEF and UNBELIEF, yes.

I may be wrong about this. And if we are to sit in judgment of other people, here and now in the church - I don't want to be in that position.

Jassy
I Corinthians 5:1-13 and 6:1-5 and 10:15 and 14:24-25

In I Cor. 2, where you quoted verse 14, "discerned" is clarified in verse 15 as "judgeth."

Compare "discern" and "judge" in Gen. 31:32 and 31:37. The two words are also together in I Kings 3:9, where "judge" is again defined as "discern." (and in verse 11, we find "to discern judgment.")

There's a plain definition for "discern" in Ezekiel 44:23, and it is right there (again) connected with the words "judgment," "judge," and "judgments" in verse 24. There is another connection in Luke 12:56-57.

I've been fussed on for my use of some words on this forum and challenged to define words scripturally...so my concordance has been getting a lot more use lately! I am having way too much FUN with it!!!

Pam
www.custerfamilyfarm.com