Thread: "Which" series
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2008, 08:44 AM

Default Which "Church"?

"Church" - a called-out assembly

Church in the Old Testament: Israel called out of Egypt

Acts 7:38
38 This is he, that was in the church in the wilderness with the angel which spake to him in the mount Sina, and with our fathers: who received the lively oracles to give unto us:
KJV

1. This "church" was "in the wilderness".
2. This "church" was associated with Mt. Sinai and the Ten Commandments.
3. This "church" was associated with the "fathers".

Church in the Age of Grace

1. "Church", which is the Body of Christ.

Eph 1:22-23
22 And hath put all things under his feet, and gave him to be the head over all things to the church,
23 Which is his body
, the fulness of him that filleth all in all.
KJV

1 Cor 10:32
32 Give none offence, neither to the Jews, nor to the Gentiles, nor to the church of God:
KJV
Eph 5:30-32
30 For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones.
31 For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh.
32 This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church.
KJV
Gal 3:28
28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.
KJV
1 Cor 12:13
13 For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.
KJV
1 Cor 12:27
27 Now ye are the body of Christ, and members in particular.
KJV

2. "Church", which is a local church

1 Cor 1:2
Unto the church of God which is at Corinth, to them that are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all that in every place call upon the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both theirs and ours:
KJV

Col 4:15
15 Salute the brethren which are in Laodicea, and Nymphas, and the church which is in his house.
KJV

Church in the Tribulation period

Rev 1:10-11
10 I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet,
11 Saying, I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last: and, What thou seest, write in a book, and send it unto the seven churches which are in Asia; unto Ephesus, and unto Smyrna, and unto Pergamos, and unto Thyatira, and unto Sardis, and unto Philadelphia, and unto Laodicea.
KJV

Rev 1:20
20 The mystery of the seven stars which thou sawest in my right hand, and the seven golden candlesticks. The seven stars are the angels of the seven churches: and the seven candlesticks which thou sawest are the seven churches.
KJV

Rev 2:11
11 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; He that overcometh shall not be hurt of the second death.
KJV

Rev 2:26
26 And he that overcometh, and keepeth my works unto the end, to him will I give power over the nations:
KJV
Rev 2:27
27 And he shall rule them with a rod of iron; as the vessels of a potter shall they be broken to shivers: even as I received of my Father.
KJV

Rev 3:5
5 He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.
KJV

Rev 3:16
16 So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.
KJV

Rev 3:21
21 To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.
KJV

1. These "churches" are local churches in Asia "on the Lord's day" (as John was carried "in the Spirit" to that future time called "the day of the Lord" and was told to write to those churches).
2. These "churches" have "angels" (not human pastors) over them.
3. These "churches" have to overcome in order to be saved from "the second death".
4. These "churches" are to keep God's "works to the end" in order to be given "power over the nations", "sit" with Christ on the "throne", and rule with Him with "a rod of iron".
5. These "churches" can be "spued out" of Christ and their names can be "blotted out" from the book of life.

Church in the Kingdom Age

Matt 16:16-19
16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.
17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.
18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.
KJV

1. This "church" is built on the "rock" that Jesus is "the Christ, the Son of the living God".
2. This "church" is associated with the "kingdom of heaven".
3. This "church" WILL be built by Jesus Christ in a future time.