Thread: Rapture
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2008, 06:19 PM

There is always a danger in creating a false teaching when the Scriptures are not seen in their broadest context. In specific, one must look before and after a statement to see the immediate context. In the case of the "twinkling of an eye", the timing is not descriptive of the the catching up, but of the change which takes place at that event. Read the following carefully. I have underlined portions for emphasis.

Quote:
I Corinthians 15
51 Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,

52 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.

53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.

54 So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.
It can be clearly seen that the topic is the changing from mortal to immortal. Therefore the phrase "In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye" tells us how fast the change takes place. The phrase "at the last trump" tells us the point in time for the event, and the phrase "the dead shall be raised incorruptible" tells us who is involved.