Thread: Gap Theory
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2008, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1171611 View Post
I hope that's a little clearer.
Yes, your position on what you believe the scriptures to say is clearer. Thanks for taking the time to explain your understanding.

Quote:
Words such as "like" and "as" usually trip up people that want to create their own doctrine from the Bible or twist something to defend their beliefs. I'm not saying you do this, I'm simply explaining how extremely careful I am when it comes to the words of the Scriptures.
I agree.

Quote:
As Bro. Ruckman has stressed so many times in his preaching and his books, the smallest words in the Bible are oftentimes the most important when it comes to Biblical truth.
I agree.

Quote:
Another point of interest is : Gen. 4:16 And Cain went out from the presence of the LORD, and dwelt in the land of Nod, on the east of Eden. Here there is no garden referenced; Eden is simply a region close to where Cain began to dwell.
I agree. The words "east of Eden" (I'm sure you would agree), are not "God planted a garden eastward in Eden." The words "east of" are different than "eastward in". Your exactly right, obviously, there is no mention of a "garden" because Cain was not eastward in Eden where the garden was, he was on the east of Eden.

Since this does indeed clarify that Eden is a specific "location," I think the word "in" is relevant. That's the very thing which has led me to form my particular opinion.
Genesis 2:8 And the LORD God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there he put the man whom he had formed.

Ezekiel 28:13 Thou hast been in Eden the garden of God...
As a side note, I'm reminded of two other passages that use different "words" that could create some different doctrines if not rightly divided.
Romans 8:16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:
John 6:40 And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.
Anyway, it's been good. I hope you know I am not "angrily" or "childishly" sitting here debating with you, like a little immature brat who is trying to prove his point and get his way. This type of subject matter is not for the "carnal" believer, that's for sure. Like you, I'm simply "searching the scriptures" with a fellow believer, who as Brother Luke pointed out, have a lot in common. "...they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so" (Acts 17:11). THIS MATTERS TO ME!

I have benefited from this, Brother Vince. In my Christian circles throughout the years, I had not been exposed to the "Gap Theory." And, it has been rare to find others who will even discuss deeper subjects like this one. It's been edifying for me in that it has led me to search and meditate on God's word. That can't be a bad thing.