View Single Post
Old 07-14-2009, 04:30 PM

Location: Colorado, a beautiful state with four distinct seasons; sometimes in the same day!
Default This day have I begotten thee

Quote:
Originally Posted by boaz212 View Post
Thanks Will again for your article. I have been going through the book of Acts and this study definitely helped. I believe in the eternal sonship of Christ. I just never got to study and understand the phrase Thou [art] my Son; this day have I begotten thee is referring to the resurrection of Christ. I have a couple of questions I like to ask for your help.

1). What's the definition for the word begotten used in Ac 13:33 and Ps 2:7?
2). Can you explain Hbr 1:5 ¶ For unto which of the angels said he at any time, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee? And again, I will be to him a Father, and he shall be to me a Son? Is the "begotten thee" always referring to the resurrection of Christ? And what does it mean when God says I will be to him a Father...? Is He referring to Rom 1:4?

Thanks for your help. This is a very important doctrine. I need to make sure I have the proper understanding and the scriptures to back it up.

Tim
Hi Tim. Thanks for writing. I think if you go back and look at John Gill's comments on Psalm 2:7 that will help. I think "begotten" in the context of Acts 13:33 is when God gave Him life. Christ was truly dead. Just like God begets us. "...which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead." 1 Peter 1:3.

God gave Him life and He became the first-begotten from the dead - See Rev. 1:5.

As for Hebrews 1:5 I think it refers to His resurrection as predicted in Psalm 2:7. Many hold this view.

There is a lot of dispute about the eternal Sonship of Christ. Not all Christians agree on this doctrine at all. But I think this is what the Scriptures teach. Here is an article I wrote on it. I do not think it is a "break it" doctrine one way or the other, as long as you believe that the Lord Jesus Christ is Jehovah God Himself. I completely believe in the full, everlasting Godhead of Jesus Christ. If a person does not believe that the Lord Jesus Christ is God, then I could not fellowship with him.

Here is the article and some pretty impressive church confessions from times past. Hope this helps some.

http://www.geocities.com/brandplucked/begotnSon.html

Accepted in the Beloved,

Will Kinney