View Single Post
Old 04-26-2009, 03:25 PM
Bro. Parrish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandi View Post
This is another of the serious problems with Hebrews that need to be resolved. You resolve it with your dispensational time frame; for others it is very perplexing. For me, it causes me dire concern for my atheist friend who once was a strong and dedicated believer. I do not want to believe he cannot repent and return like a prodigal son. This harsh stance on apostates seems to contradict other Scriptures and the merciful heart of God who is not willing that any should perish....
Well first of all my friend, let's be clear---the problem that needs resolving is not with Hebrews, it is always with us and our misunderstanding of the Bible. It is a difficult passage and even worse for those who MAKE it more difficult by suggesting believers can lose their salvation at any time. I have always accepted the KJV as the authority, and I tell people whenever they come up on something like this, just keep reading it and comparing scripture with scripture, if it still gives them trouble then just find a commentary that helps WITHOUT ATTEMPTING TO CORRECT THE TEXT AS IT STANDS. For many who hold to the doctrine of eternal security, the pivotal point in this passage is one word... "IF."

Please note, the following passage is not from a KJVO resource, and certainly not the best resource, but I thought the way they approached this particular passage was interesting and worthy of consideration...

"The key word in the passage is if (verse 6). The writer of Hebrews is setting up a hypothetical statement: “IF a Christian were to fall away . . .” The point being made is that it would be impossible (IF a Christian falls away) to renew salvation. That’s because Christ died once for sin (Hebrews 9:28), and if His sacrifice is insufficient, then there’s no hope at all.

The passage, therefore, presents an argument based on a false premise (that a true Christian can fall away) and follows it to its senseless conclusion (that Jesus would have to be sacrificed again and again). The absurdity of the conclusion points up the impossibility of the original assumption. This reasoning is called reductio ad absurdum, in which a premise is disproved by showing that it logically leads to an absurdity"... more here:
https://www.gotquestions.org/Hebrews-6.html

There are plenty of passages in the Bible for your friend to find rest for his tortured soul, it sounds like he needs a good dose of fundamental doctrine on grace and eternal security.

Last edited by Bro. Parrish; 04-26-2009 at 03:37 PM.