View Single Post
Old 03-25-2009, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mind and Body View Post
Calm down, potw. No-one is saying that salvation is of works; I'm just talking about the implications of James 2 on faith-alone salvation. It is more a Bible-study issue than a doctrinal issue.
I was perfectly calm in my answer. If it was meant to be a bible study issue you should have posted in the Bible study section and perhaps outlined your own understanding of your own question, so we the reader would know from what angle you were approaching the subject from

Matthew 5:16
Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven

James is simply saying that if a person is genuinely saved by Grace through faith then there should be fruit from their good works to show for it, but NOT necessary for salvation

James 2:21, Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?

Genesis 22:8 And Abraham said, My son, God will provide himself a lamb for a burnt offering: so they went both of them together.
9 And they came to the place which God had told him of; and Abraham built an altar there, and laid the wood in order, and bound Isaac his son, and laid him on the altar upon the wood.
10 And Abraham stretched forth his hand, and took the knife to slay his son.

Look to Genesis 15:6

Genesis 15:6 And he believed in the LORD; and he counted it to him for righteousness.
The above verse is a different event from Gen 22:8-10

The Apostle Paul spoke of the root of Abraham's faith, whereas James spoke of the fruit of His faith

Romans 4:3 For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness.
No mention of works
James 2:21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?
Works after salvation (gen 15:6)

Romans 5:1 Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ.

Genesis 15:6 we see Abraham believing (salvation), and Genesis 22:-10 Is the fruit of that belief mentioned by James 2:21

Last edited by peopleoftheway; 03-25-2009 at 06:48 PM.