View Single Post
Old 04-22-2009, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
3:1 “If [1] a man divorces his wife and she goes from him and becomes another man's wife, will he return to her? Would not that land be greatly polluted? You have played the whore with many lovers; and would you return to me? declares the Lord. ESV

They say, If a man put away his wife, and she go from him, and become another man's, shall he return unto her again? shall not that land be greatly polluted? but thou hast played the harlot with many lovers; yet return again to me, saith the LORD. KJB

I accidently read the wrong verse online (I forgot to bring my Bible to work, and I only normally bring a NT anyway), and it gives a completely different meaning. But, the King James could also be read this way...

It reads as though God is disgusted as the prospect of Israel returning to Him.

Thankfully the rest of the chapter does clarify that God is telling them to come back, but here is what the NIV and a few other versions say

A saying: If a man divorces his wife and she leaves him and marries another man, her first husband shouldn't go back to her again. The land would become thoroughly polluted. "You have acted like a prostitute who has many lovers. And now you want to come back to me!" declares the LORD.

God says, "If a husband divorces his wife And she goes from him And belongs to another man, Will he still return to her? Will not that land be completely polluted? But you are a harlot with many lovers; Yet you turn to Me," declares the LORD. NASB

If a man divorces his wifeand she leaves him and marries another man,
should he return to her again? Would not the land be completely defiled? But you have lived as a prostitute with many lovers—would you now return to me?" declares the LORD. NIV
Thank you for your insight on this. I have beaten this same subject into fine powder at our church. I belong to a once, good old fashioned Southern Baptist church that is about to depart from the AV to the ESV. I have pointed out many verses where the whole meaning of the verse is changed by a word or two. Pure corruption of the scriptures. Not to mention the ESV is also very gender neutral (of course they try to explain it away in the preface to the ESV.) Here is one verse we were studying in Sunday School notice the KJV against the ESV. KJV: DAN5:5 In the same hour came forth fingers of a MAN'S hand, and wrote over against the candlestick upon the plaister of the wall of the king's palace: and the king saw the part of the hand that wrote. Now read the ESV DAN5:5 Immediately the fingers of a HUMAN hand appeared and wrote on the plaster of the wall of the king's palace, opposite the lampstand. And the king saw the hand as it wrote. Besides the changed meaning of verses, they also sub the word men, man in many places for human, human being etc,. Needless to say if they go with the ESV, I will be looking for another church. Thankfully after talking with the Pastor he wants more time to evaluate the ESV after seeing all the gender changes I pointed out.