View Single Post
Old 11-18-2008, 10:02 PM
Vendetta Ride

This has been an interesting thread. Just a few reactions:

1. One's choice of literature (in the context of this thread) is a matter of Christian liberty. If I want to read Harry Potter books all night long, I'm free in Christ to do so - - - if my conscience doesn't condemn me (1 John 3:21). That's the flip-side of "liberty:" it only works if we're truly seeking God's will. Therefore, I can't read Harry Potter (not that I'd want to); but neither can I say that a brother who reads it is sinning against God. I will say that he's asking for trouble, corrupting his mind, and providing ground for possession by unclean spirits. But I'm not going to say that any Christian who reads such tripe is out of fellowship with God: he or she might simply be stupid. It grieves me, truly grieves me, that my eldest son is raising his kids on Harry Potter; but his mother (to whom I am no longer married, Diligent, so I'm not airing my dirty laundry) raised him on the Narnia books. I do not view this as coincidence. If I knew then what I know now ..... well, that way lies madness!

2. I have seen a number of people, including at least one person in this forum (not myself), influenced toward Christ by C.S. Lewis' "Mere Christianity." His "Screwtape Letters" is well-done and inoffensive, and provides some good insights. However, I have (recently) studied the symbolism and mythical elements of the Narnia books, and I'm convinced that they are straight out of Hell, and entirely based on pagan myths, some of which are utterly filthy. His inclusion of Bacchus (the god of wine) and the maenids (promiscuous female spirits, the female equivalents of satyrs) should be reason enough to make the books off-limits for children (even though they won't know what they're reading, the subconscious references will stick). And I have read every autobiographical book Lewis ever wrote, and many biographies written by others, and even the books of his letters; and I see absolutely no reason to think that he was a saved man. In his theological works, he expressed belief in purgatory, prayers to the dead (not necromancy, but Catholic-type stuff), and likened the Lord Jesus Christ to the heathen god Apollo. And he very explicitly rejected the divine inspiration of Scripture. Remember, Lewis' literary specialty was myth: this stuff didn't get into his head, or his children's books, by accident. When he had adorable little Lucy frolicking with the drunken satyrs and maenids in the Narnia books, he knew exactly what he was doing.

3. If you're going to really look for necromancy in popular culture, it doesn't stop with Tolkien; in all of the modern (post-1960s) Superman movies and TV shows, Superman regularly communes with his dead father. But I wouldn't say that watching a Superman movie is quite on the same level as consulting a medium. We've got to use common sense in this thing.

4. I read a lot of fiction, and some of you might not approve of some of it. (None of it is occult stuff.) But I'm a grown man, and I know what I'm doing. The Narnia and Potter books are terrible stuff, because they're aimed at kids. If I were a pastor, I'd preach against them; but I wouldn't discipline a church member who read them, or gave them to his/her children.

We've gotta give the Holy Spirit some room to work. And we really should, as much as possible, try to overlook our brethren's shortcomings, as Christ overlooks so many of ours.