View Single Post
Old 02-16-2009, 01:32 AM

I've been reading about it in Ruckman's "Why I am not a Calvinist". A whole chapter (there are only 5 chapters I think) is devoted to this doctrine of "eternal begatting".

Bob Ross wrote a book about it (The Eternal Sonship of Jesus Christ). The title is biblical, but throughout the book, he substitutes sonship for begatting and says Christ was begotten in eternity. This is a doctrine that is entwined in unconditional election. Essentially, Calvinism has two gods. One that is begotten and one that is unbegotten.

It's based on a misunderstanding of Psalm 2:7

We read it as

Psa 2:7 I will declare the decree: the LORD hath said unto me, Thou art my Son; this day have I begotten thee.

- Now, most people would read it as Christ being begotten when He was born. Others, rightfully read it as Christ being begotten when He was raised from the dead (Acts 13:33 - word for word quote).

Calvinists read it like this
Psa 2:7 I will declare the ETERNAL decree: the LORD hath said unto me, Thou art my Son; (omit this day) I have begotten thee.

I'll find some quotes. I am sure Vance covers this in "TOSOC". It's part of the Nicene creed, and Michael Servetus attacked this error and was burnt at the stake for it (although, in doing so, servetus also denied the deity of Christ, but he was right about there being no eternal begatting).

Last edited by Luke; 02-16-2009 at 01:37 AM.