View Single Post
Old 10-30-2008, 09:52 PM

The Infant Baptism is rather interesting, it began early in Europe, it started because of the VERY high infant mortality rate at that time. It was so bad that in parts of Germany, parents would carve a name for the child on a piece of wood and often it would be kept in the Church it was "given" to the child after their first year, some were found not long ago near Stuttgart, in any event, the Church had to make a difficult judgement call, in light of these dire outlooks, what was decided was this (in a nutshell):Infants have no personal sins, they are however born with "original" sin. Thus to Baptize in the Trinitarian formula. Life was hard brutal and short in many areas where the faith was spreading, if the Plague did not get you one year a famine might the next. Frankly , I try not to be too hard on the Church when they decided to Baptize babies of Christian families, put yourself in their shoes, it was not an easy call, in order to maintain proper orthodox teaching of the faith, Confirmation was created, this was where the Pastor taught those old enough to grasp the basics, the Christian Faith, they would then, in Church, in the eyes of God and men confess Christ as Lord and Saviour. I am in a Branch of our Lord's Holy Church where this pattern was kept. Hence my sympathy for Infant Baptism followed by instruction and Confirmation. I feel both sides hold merit! For me, the issue is Christ, is he your Lord and Saviour? Do you put your faith in Him? Well, if so, by Faith you are saved. In summation I DEEPLY love my Brethren in the Lord on both sides of this issue, I never make it a point of division. I have seen people on both sides get UGLY on this one. To be honest I shout "It is all about faith in Christ Jesus the Lord!" Then I run away. Blessings.