View Single Post
Old 10-30-2008, 06:49 AM

Default hi guys

to the duplicate members from Baptist1611 - hi, I'm here too.

to the rest of the fine folks on av1611 - by way of introduction, my name is Laura and while I've been a member here since June, I've only posted once. But, I've lately been spending my share of time here, reading.

Now to answer you, Stephen - yes, you should be Scripturally baptized. Every time water baptism is mentioned in the Bible, it's by immersion. "Baptizo" - the Greek word we get "baptism" from - actually means "to dip" or "to immerse."

The fact that it's been on your mind lately makes me wonder if it's not the Holy Spirit pointing out that you're not yet quite in line with God's Word on the matter. I say that from experience - before I was married (unsaved at the time), I was "baptized" by the minister who did the wedding, by sprinkling. After I was saved and in a Bible teaching church, it was on my mind a lot too, that I wasn't properly baptized. So I talked to the Pastor and on November 9, 1999 was baptized by immersion, two years after I was saved.

As Luke said, baptism is an outward sign of what's already happened inwardly. It's also one of the first steps of obedience to Christ that a Christian makes, and I've agree with the suggestion that to not follow Christ in believer's baptism might just limit a Christian's usefulness. The Lord won't entrust us with greater responsibility if we're not willing to obey Him in the first step.