View Single Post
Old 04-05-2008, 05:29 PM
jerry

Actually, I never said I was offended at that joke - someone else did. I just stated it was wrong, sin - and it still is, whether people get offended or not. Jesus didn't crack ethnic jokes or insult people for the sake of knocking them - He called them names that were appropriate to exactly what they were doing wrong. Fool - for being foolish. Hypocrite - for being hypocritical. And so on. If you use a name that a preacher in the Bible used, and are using it in the same way, I have no problem with that. My problem is with casting unjustified insults and slurs around - which I have shown from various passages are sinful. Here is another verse - words of Jesus:

Matthew 5:22 But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

Raca means basically "empty head" - an insult. Same with fool - unless we are calling someone a fool that God Himself calls a fool, such as an atheist (Psalm 14:1). Going around calling people idiots or bloated jackasses (an insult that Ruckman does use) is evil - taking Jesus at His words leaves no other interpretation. That is rotten fruit.

Matthew 12:36-37 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.