Thread: New Wine?
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2008, 03:51 PM

Amen brother Sammy!

I was saved in October of 1958 and have never been "drunk" since then. From 1958 until 1963 I avoided drinking "alcoholic beverages", but would on very rare occasions have a beer with some of my island friends (in order to not "offend"). In 1963 I came to the personal conviction that, although I didn't believe it was a sin for me to have a beer or a glass of wine, I would no longer "imbibe" in any alcoholic beverages, in order to avoid all "appearance of evil" and causing someone to "stumble". I have been a "teetotaler" ever since, but do not think that it makes me any more "spiritual" than any other Christian.

We should not confuse "personal convictions" with clear Bible precepts and commands. For instance - my wife & I:
  • Do not drink any "alcoholic beverages" - but I do not condemn those Christians that have a glass of wine with their meal, although I firmly believe that "moderation" is the key here. (Although if asked - I highly recommend total "abstinence" - in order to avoid the appearance of evil and not give occasion to stumble others)
  • Have not celebrated Christmas since 1969 - but I do not condemn or even criticize those Christians that do. (Although if asked - I will tell them that the Lord Jesus Christ was definitely not born on the 25th. of December)
  • Homeschooled all seven of our children from 1973 up to the late 1990's - but do not condemn or criticize those Christians that send their children to the government schools. (Although if asked - we recommend against sending Christian children to Humanists for instruction & training)
You will notice that my wife and I came to these "personal convictions" over a period of time. No one "forced" them on us - we embraced each one (and others) after personal study and being personally convicted by the Holy Spirit about these and other issues.

Thanks again for you comments and the Scriptures. It's obvious from just a cursory examination of the Scriptures that the word "wine" in the Bible can mean a variety of things and we should be careful not to put "private spin" on the word in order to enforce a "personal conviction".