View Single Post
Old 03-17-2009, 11:41 AM

I remember that the straw which broke the camel's back and got me to leave the church I went to right after being saved (I was also baptized there), was when the notKJV (NKJV) called My Lord and Saviour a BONDSERVANT in Phl 2:7.

Also, 7 other times, writers of epistles are changed from being the willing servant to a bondservant in the NKJV.

The AV only uses this word once that I can find, clearly implying slavery:
Lev 25:39 And if thy brother that dwelleth by thee be waxen poor, and be sold unto thee; thou shalt not compel him to serve as a bondservant:

I do not serve my Lord because I must, or because I'm a slave, but rather because I want to out of gratitude.

I was already upset at the aformentioned church's policy of using the NKJV, and the lack of any decernment among the congregation, half of them didn't even bring their own Bibles. Why bother when there's a pew version there for you? It was enough to have had a few discussion with that pastor, he actually gave me a copy of White's book, the KJVO controversy, which was laughable.
But when one Sunday, his whole sermon was in Philipians 2, I couldn't take hearing my God called a slave any longer. I left.

Gal 4:31 So then, brethren, we are not children of the bondwoman, but of the free.

Ironically, that pastor still tries to point out errors in the KJB to me, he honestly thinks I have gone astray, into a cult
I still attend the Saturday morning men's Bible study group there, simply because I committed myself to that group and met some other Christian men there, and that church is close to my appartment. All the other pastor-parrots with their NKJV, NIV, CEV, etc just can't wait to get through the alloted time (We just finished the book of Revelation). I however am continually probing into the meat.
They chose to follow some booklet with questions in it designed for group study, and throughout the course, not only did the guide completely miss SO MANY amazing things to be found in the Book, it even implied some heretical ideas, like mid-trib, no rapture at all, works-based, etc. its sucked.
Perhaps I should just stop going to their Bible study group altogether, but that brings up something else:

The new KJO Bible-believing church I attend is doctrinally correct, however, the pastor there hasn't bothered to talk to me and even appears to not want my family there at all (small church, ~60 people).
He's old, harsh and elitist. Sigh, I guess finding a KJO church was almost too good to be true. My parents are much on guard towards him, but I just want to be included in the church family, yet they don't really seem to like 'outsiders' very much, even though I've been going there over a year.
There's a bunch of other variables, but the point is that the KJ correcting pastro was a better pastor to me in all other areas than the KJO pastor is now. Not to label them all, just my own experience so far.

I love straying off topic, eh?

Last edited by BornAgainBibleBeliever514; 03-17-2009 at 12:10 PM.