View Single Post
Old 11-01-2008, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro. Parrish View Post
I posted this over on the other thread,
for others who may stumble on this in the future...

I have not commented on this thread until now, but I do feel it is important for the child of God to understand these difficult passages about hate, and I want to post something here that may help you understand. This is from my archives, I wrote it long ago. I don't care to argue about it, I taught this in adult Sunday School for many years and I came to this conclusion after study and prayer, and this is what God laid on my heart. If you don't agree with it, that's fine and I have no problem with you and I respect your views. I hope this helps anyone who may be struggling with this issue...

I believe it could be construed that God
has a love/hate relationship with sinners.

Yes, that's right---I think God both loves AND hates sinners.
Sometimes I feel that way about computers, LOL.
Why do I say this? Because that is exactly what I see in the Bible!

I guess the Fred Phelps family would have their own spin on this, but without taking it to those terrible extremes—it could be construed that God has a love/hate relationship with sinners.
The child of God does not have to agree or align himself with fanatics or offensive fringe groups to understand God's Bible. That said, It is important for us to understand this issue, so we can help others understand.

It is important to remember, that POSITIONALLY there is a different standing for the redeemed as opposed to unbelievers. Unbelievers are like a building destined for destruction—they are condemned already due to their unbelief (John 3:18). The unbeliever who is actively rejecting God's love is in a position of sin—he is the ENEMY OF GOD. "For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life." Romans 5:10

It could probably be argued that the unbeliever is not only a sinner—but positionally
HE IS SIN.
We often hear "God hates the sin," well,—there you are.
Look carefully at the KJV text in this verse:
"For he hath MADE HIM TO BE SIN for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him." 2 Corinthians 5:21

The unbeliever is not only is sinning, he is positionally titled "SINNER,"—he was made that way by Adam's sin.
"For as by one man's disobedience many were MADE SINNERS, so by the obedience of one shall many be MADE RIGHTEOUS." Romans 5:19

Watch this now...
The unbeliever has the opportunity to avoid God's hatred—because of God's love.
I say again—it seems that God has a love/hate relationship with sinners.

The Scripture is clear, look at these two verses:

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." John 3:16

"The LORD trieth the righteous: but the wicked and him that
loveth violence his soul hateth." Psa. 11:5

How can this God of the Hebrews both hate and love at the same time?
Well the verses are pretty clear—God is love (1 John 4:8), but He is also a man of war. (Exodus 15:3)

The same brilliant sunlight which nourishes one plant, can easily destroy another.
The soul that is not clothed in God's righteousness (Jesus)—will feel God's hatred.

When a believer sins, (as we all have done) they are CHASTISED as opposed to being hated. Why? Because of adoption. Despite the humanists claims—the inhabitants of earth are not all the children of God. The believer on the hand, has the spirit of adoption—he is a true child of God.

So in conclusion, I believe the Bible teaches that God both loves AND hates sinners.
God loved every sinner (the world) enough to pay for their sins, there is no greater love on earth. But until they repent, His hatred for those who defy Him and His hatred for their sin is not reduced. (Psalm 5:5; Psalm 11:5 Lev. 20:23; Prov. 6:16-19; Hos. 9:15, Gal. 6:7, Rev. 20:15).
Brother Parrish. That sums it up for me. I agree.