Thread: I Corinthians 5
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2009, 02:08 PM

I would like to share with you all what is in my foot notes of my Common Man's Reference Bible...It voices my thoughts and views:

The Corinthian church probably justified their "compassion" by stating they were not under the law, but under grace. True grace teaches holiness and standards

Titus 2:11-1511 For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,
12 Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world;
13 Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;
14 Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.
15 These things speak, and exhort, and rebuke with all authority. Let no man despise thee.

The steps to church discipline are explained in the footnote of Matthew 18:15. When a sinful person is officially barred from the church, all of the believers are to pray for the shunned individual. In this case the man repented and returned to the church -

2 Corinthians 2:5-11 But if any have caused grief, he hath not grieved me, but in part: that I may not overcharge you all.
6 Sufficient to such a man is this punishment, which was inflicted of many.
7 So that contrariwise ye ought rather to forgive him, and comfort him, lest perhaps such a one should be swallowed up with overmuch sorrow.
8 Wherefore I beseech you that ye would confirm your love toward him.
9 For to this end also did I write, that I might know the proof of you, whether ye be obedient in all things.
10 To whom ye forgive any thing, I forgive also: for if I forgave any thing, to whom I forgave it, for your sakes forgave I it in the person of Christ;
11 Lest Satan should get an advantage of us: for we are not ignorant of his devices.