View Single Post
Old 08-01-2009, 06:34 PM

Default Bro. George

Apparently you misunderstood, it was neither a lack of knowledge nor a case of having misspoke; it was a case of figurative speech and hyperbole.

You know, like when Jesus said “strain at a gnat and swallow a camel".....?

Surely you admit that Jesus didn’t mean the Pharisees literally swallowed a camel?

Likewise I didn’t mean that any believer literally fell under the wrath of God. Of course we (and those in the local assembly - see I Cor. 11:30) still suffer consequences of sin, and in what I thought was an obvious case of hyperbole, I referred to it as the wrath of God.

In common speech (which I use on this forum) this is not rare. Other examples are “raining cats and dogs,” and “laughed my head off,” and “I’ve told you a thousand times.”

In the above example, I thought it was a safe exaggeration because as far as I know everyone involved in the discussion believes a Christian cannot lose his salvation and fall under the literal wrath of God.

But, because evidently my posts are being gone over with a fine tooth comb (another hyperbole ) and my word usage is being criticized - for those who are unfamiliar with basic literary devices I will be more careful in the future.

Thank you Bro. George for looking out for me!