View Single Post
Old 05-17-2008, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacomus View Post
Thanks for the offer George, it might well come in handy, though the distance might be a hindrance... It seems surprisingly difficult to get hold of Maynard's book here in Sweden.

Is there any particular book by Burgon you'd recommend? I will likely eventually read some of Ruckman's works, but I feel better investigating this one step at a time.

Thanks for your help.
I'm dead serious with the offer brother. We have sent books to India, the Philippines, and are getting ready to send a bunch to South Africa.

We are a very small assembly - but we try to help the brethren who have difficulty obtaining Bibles (King James Only - Of course! ) and study materials when we can.

My wife checked on the postage - approximately $12.00 (American) and approximately 10 days. Should you decide to take up our offer we'll just send it to you and whenever you can afford it - give the money to your favorite missionary.

No one - living or dead has ever matched Dean John Burgon in his field of endeavor. If you want to get a real thorough handle on some of these issues he's your man.

I highly recommend you obtaining his works in this order:

#1. "The Revision Revised" {by Burgon - I read it 3 times & still refer to it.}
#2. "The Traditional Text" {by Burgon & Miller - I read it 3 times & still refer to it.}
#3. "Causes of Corruption" by Burgon & Miller - I read it 3 times & still refer to it.}
#4. "The Last 12 Verses of Mark" {by Burgon, 400+ pages on the manuscript evidence for just those 12 verses! - I read it 2 times.}
#5, "Dean Burgon's Revision Warnings" {by Waite - I'm not enamored of brother Waite, but there may be some useful material here - never read it.}
#6. "Inspiration and Interpretation" {by Burgon - "heavy" reading - I read most of it, but I really had to "wade" through the "swamp".}

If you want to get an idea of the "scholarship" of John Burgon how's this for "prodigious"?

From The Dean Burgon Society:
Quote:
"Quotations of the Church Fathers. As a result of his research, Burgon compiled an index of sixteen folio volumes of more than 86,000 quotations of or allusions to Scripture which were used by the Church Fathers. These indexes were about 12" by 18" by 3" in size. They are presently in London's British Museum. They have been catalogued by Dean Burgon and his associates. Each quotation or allusion is color-coded to show the exact page and version of the Church Fathers from which they were derived. These are very valuable indexes, but as yet are unpublished."
I hope this has been of some help.