View Single Post
Old 10-31-2008, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta Ride View Post
In fact, dear brother, I was like you, and I did get baptized by immersion (It's not a "re-baptism" if you weren't immersed in the first place). But my circumstances were a little different. When I was saved, I joined an independent, very evangelistic Presbyterian Church. Later, I moved to another church that was just as evangelistic, but aligned with a brand-new "conservative" denomination. (Note to Traditional Anglican: the new one was the PCA, but I had many friends who were OP and RP, too. There are as many kinds of Presbyterians as there are of Baptists!) Anyway, I was baptized by sprinkling, as a new Christian, at age 19. This was understood to be no more and no less than my adult profession of faith. I remained in the Presbyterian church, and two of my four children were "baptized" as infants. I kinda regret this, but I was going by the light that I had: I didn't find the King James Bible for 13 years, and I had bought - - - against my better judgment - - - the Reformed arguments in favor of infant baptism. (But I never did buy the "child of the Covenant" stuff.) Anyway, that was then, and this is now.

When I went to PBI, to study for the ministry, I asked Ruckman exactly the question that you've asked here. He said that, in my case, since I understood what my baptism represented, it wouldn't be necessary to baptize me again. But, since I was planning to be a Baptist pastor, he strongly suggested that I do it, for appearances' sake. So, Ruckman baptized me by immersion. I think it was the right thing to do.

In your situation, I would advise you to follow the Spirit's guidance. If you're not planning to be a Baptist preacher, you probably don't need to do it; but, if you're troubled, or if the Spirit is prompting you, then yes, by all means go ahead!

Whatever you do, brother, be at peace with your decision, and don't let the Enemy use this to accuse you or make you feel guilty. As you go down under the water - - - because I have a hunch that's what you'll end up doing - - - just remember, the issue isn't what Stephen is doing for Jesus, it's what Jesus Christ did for Stephen!
AMEN brother! Thank you for this. I sure appreciate the kind words and wise council.

Much Love in Christ Jesus,
Stephen