View Single Post
Old 05-19-2009, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredoheaven View Post
Our Lord Jesus gave us a very specific, clear command in Matthew 28:19 for the believers to follow. This command to baptized "...in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:" is a compelling evidence of the importance of water baptism from his other commandments.

While, it has nothing to do with our salvation because of Ephesians 2:8 said "For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:", it is a mandate fo us to do. Specifically, water baptism is:

1. An Identity. Christ was baptized by the John the Baptist to identify himself with his people as Prophet, Priest and King. John's baptism of water for him is not unto repentance but rather an identification as an awaited Messiah yet his people received him not.

John 1:11 He came unto his own, and his own received him not.

2. A Preparation. John the Baptist is the forerunner of our Lord and he was the one prepared the way of the Lord. This preparation was that of Christ publick earthly ministry.

Matthew 3:3 For this is he that was spoken of by the prophet Esaias, saying, The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight.

Christ commanded to baptized and the disciples followed it. Noticed that, following those who beleived the preaching of the Gospel as foretold were baptized and then teach all things commanded by Christ.Of course, some Christ command may not be physically applicable for us today but the spiritual application was meant for us. Peter began preaching and do the same as told in the Book of Acts. The preaching or the message of the Gospel by Peter was the same as of that Paul only the scope of Paul was more of the Gentile.

The message of Christ command is still today hence Christ will be with us even until the end of the world. As a Baptist, will not be hesitant to declare God's saving grace to the lost sinners and immediately baptized believers if it needs be and teach other things corncerning Christ. Scriptural baptism is a must for believers of today.

Matthew 28:20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.
Because of Jesus' command in Matthew 28 and the examples of believers in the book of Acts I believe in baptism for a person who has been saved. Having said that sometimes I'm confused by the hurry to get a person baptized and by the "baptism is the first step of obedience" teaching. You said

Quote:
it has nothing to do with our salvation because of Ephesians 2:8,
but you also said

Quote:
will not be hesitant to declare God's saving grace to the lost sinners and immediately baptized believers
What happens if a person is not immediately baptized? Neither Paul, Peter, John, James, or Jude address tardy baptism. What's wrong with telling the new believer about baptism and then let the Holy Spirit lead them?