View Single Post
Old 05-18-2009, 04:13 PM

Hello Brother,

Thank you for your question. I understand that most people will not have a knowledge of this subject. I'm happy to explain.

First of all, imagine that you're placed into a soundproof glass booth. All of the speakers outside the booth are speaking in Japanese language. You don't know the Japanese language. And you can't hear it. OK - now how long will it take you to learn Japanese? How well will you learn it?

Did that impact you at all? Additionally, we start from the premise that you already know what a language IS - and what is expected of you. Deaf people, born deaf, have no concept of language - what it is or what it means. They just see mouths moving from an early age.

That is the main reason for Deaf people's struggle with learning language. A baby, from the womb and babyhood onward, is constantly hearing speech, even if the baby can not yet form words. A deaf baby is without such a headstart. They're many years behind, by the time they enter school and don't know language. They struggle to learn it - on top of the other things that are expected of them. Without a basis in language, how can they learn anything?

Big challenge, huh? So, the averge Deaf person won't move beyond that 3rd grade language level. I know, because I'm often asked to read letters - to correct grammatical and spelling errors. I'm often asked to translate a letter or document into ASL.

I'm not saying that Deaf people are stupid! Far from it! They can readily grasp concepts and ideas, just as people who can hear do, as long as it is in their visual language.

Most Deaf people would not be able to grasp the KJV/AV in written format, just as they often cannot grasp other things in written format.

Does this help to explain?

Jassy