View Single Post
Old 05-02-2008, 09:42 PM
MDOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
At the risk of pointing fingers let me just say that in general, my first impressions, of reading the many posts, (I know a lot of them have to be weeded out by what I would call zelots),

Personally the Holy Spirit opened my heart to the saving grace or our Lord Jesus Christ when I read the following from the Good News Bible that was given to me by my sister.

There were probably billions of souls saved by His grace in the millenniums before the AV was printed.

So I have to conclude with Joyner that folks who today spend so much effort into the version rather then the Gospel itself are in that same boat as the Scribes and Pharisee's.
Then you already know that you don't even need a newspaper version of the Bible to get saved. (All you really need is the word of a Christian talking to you.) You also know that the saved OT people didn't have the NT either.

Consider carefully, then, what this says:

Php 1:15-18
(15) Some indeed preach Christ even of envy and strife; and some also of good will:
(16) The one preach Christ of contention, not sincerely, supposing to add affliction to my bonds:
(17) But the other of love, knowing that I am set for the defence of the gospel.
(18) What then? notwithstanding, every way, whether in pretence, or in truth, Christ is preached; and I therein do rejoice, yea, and will rejoice.

Do you see the import? There was a guy who was unsaved and used the word to "reach" many for salvation (but his motive was to fill his offering plates with money). The result? People actually got saved. Why? Because they believed the Word.

OK, so now, if you're gonna seriously study the word, first you need to answer and establish "Which Bible?" (There's a book by that title.) You need to establish your absolute Bible standard by which to base all comparisons of truth and lies (or comparisons of a Bible version or two). But that is the only reason for determining the proper version for study purposes. After this, you no longer need to continue this kind of study. Abandon this study of "Which Bible," and get into studying to experientially know God. The group of people failing to do that ends up falling into this KJVO "cult" (not that it is, necessarily, but not all is able to receive it) whose only "mission" is to "get the words right." This is analogous to King Saul, and can lead to Pharisaical pride. Note that there is nothing wrong with apologetics, except if it occupies most or all of your pursuit and efforts. The pursuit should be to be conformed to the image of Jesus, not to continue to perfect the Bible you're reading and make a case proving it. The reason is that the Holy Ghost is the teacher and will teach you all things (John 14:26). You don't need a perfect Bible for that, but you'd like to have one for study purposes. The more you study it and do it, the more you become one with it (Matthew 13).

By the way, you can't weed anybody out of anything. You can only weed out what you know is there in your life. (See parable of the wheat and tares)

I started with the NASB, but a few months later switched to KJV, Thompson's Chain.