View Single Post
Old 11-17-2008, 09:23 PM
Steve Schwenke

I don't think reading a fictional fantasy book which includes witchcraft and sorcery is practising witchcraft. I simply believe that it opens the door for our enemy to have an unnecessary influence - whether we realize the affects or not is irrelevant. (Actually, the most OBVIOUS affect is TOLERANCE of witchcraft!!!)
It also allows others who are watching us to question this practice, and then take what WE allow another step further.
It also allows us an open door to allow other types of books/movies in.
In my view, it is the top of the "slippery slope."

I am not being legalistic about this at all. I believe that the Bible's condemnation of sorcery, witchcraft, necromancy, etc. should be sufficient for us to NOT WANT ANYTHING TO DO WITH IT in any form. In my view, it is NOT a liberty issue, since the Bible speaks directly to the matter. To say that those passages do not apply because these books are fictional is to dismiss the relevance of the Bible.

Just because it is fiction does not negate its affects or its connections to the occult. Wiccans don't believe in practicing "black magic", they use their "arts" for "good." So just because Gandolf is a "good" wizard, doesn't make him any less evil - at least according to the Bible. Where do the "good" sorcerers get their power from anyway? The Lord? The Holy Spirit? Do they acknowledge the Holy Scriptures? If the source of their power is not the Lord, then there is only one other source left - the devil. Why play with his minions?

In Christ,