View Single Post
Old 09-11-2008, 02:00 AM

Default Re: LZM Inquiry Matthew 13:41-42

Quote:
Originally Posted by LZM View Post
I thank God for His Word. There are some difficult passages in the Scriptures that would cause one to stop and think about the whole "guaranteed salvation no matter what" premise. I know it can depend on how you approach the passage also.
One such place for me is found in Matthew 13:41-13:42. It seems to be speaking of Christians that continue in sin and at the end of this age being excluded from salvation. If anyone has studied this passage at length and cares to offer any illumination upon the context, feel free to do so.

Aloha LZM,

In order to understand the Scriptures you must "rightly divide the word of truth". [2 Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.]
  • Study - "the word of Truth"
  • We Study - to seek God's "Approval"
  • Study = "Work" {i.e. "workman"}
  • We Study - so that we won't be "Ashamed"
  • When we do Study - we MUST rightly divide "the word of truth"
In order to "rightly divide" you must also use the "WHO" Principal:

WHOSaid that?
WHO– Was he speaking to?
WHO– Does this apply to?
WHO– Should follow and obey?
WHO– Is this written to or for?

In addition to the "WHO" Principal, there are three "ancillary" questions that should be also considered: "WHERE", "WHAT", and "WHEN".

Look at the verses "in context" and then ask "WHO":

Quote:
Matthew 13:24 Another parable put he forth unto them, saying, The kingdom of heaven is likened unto a man which sowed good seed in his field:
25 But while men slept, his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat, and went his way.
26 But when the blade was sprung up, and brought forth fruit, then appeared the tares also.
27 So the servants of the householder came and said unto him, Sir, didst not thou sow good seed in thy field? from whence then hath it tares?
28 He said unto them, An enemy hath done this. The servants said unto him, Wilt thou then that we go and gather them up?
29 But he said, Nay; lest while ye gather up the tares, ye root up also the wheat with them.
30 Let both grow together until the harvest: and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, Gather ye together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them: but gather the wheat into my barn.

The Lord then put forth 2 more "parables" about the "kingdom of heaven" (the "mustard seed" & "leaven"). When he was done his disciples came to Him and asked Him: "Declare unto us the parable of the tares of the field." [
Matthew 13:36]

Before anyone can even begin to understand WHO these verses are to be applied to, they must first ask: WHAT is the "kingdom of heaven"? And WHERE is it located?

I don't have room to go into a detailed explanation about the "kingdom of heaven" or the differences between it and the "kingdom of God", except to say there is a "difference". And that "difference" makes all the "difference" in the world as to how we are to understand WHO these verses are applied to.

The term "kingdom of heaven" is found only in the Gospel of Matthew (the Gospel of the King of Israel), and nowhere else in the entire Bible (32 verses > 33 occurrences).

The term "kingdom of God" can be found only in the New Testament (69 verses > 70 occurrences). It is found in: 5 verses in Matthew {If the two terms are synonymous - WHY the distinction?}; 15 verses in Mark; 32 verses in Luke; 2 verses in John; and the remaining 15 verses are found in Acts (7 verses), and exclusively, in Paul's letters (Romans - 2Thessalonians). All of these facts have a bearing on WHO these verses are to be applied to.

We now go to the Lord Jesus Christ's explanation of the "parable" {Please note: Every single substantiative word has a distinct meaning - which is true about all "Parables".}

Quote:
Matthew 13:37 He answered and said unto them, He that soweth the good seed is the Son of man;
{WHO is speaking? = The Lord. WHO "soweth the good seed"? = The Lord, i.e. the son of man.}

Quote:
38 The field is the world; the good seed are the children of the kingdom; but the tares are the children of the wicked one;
{WHAT is the "field"? = The world. WHO are the "good seed"? = the children of the kingdom. WHO are the "tares"? = the children of the wicked one.}
Quote:
39 The enemy that sowed them is the devil; the harvest is the end of the world; and the reapers are the angels.
{WHO is the "enemy"? = the devil. WHAT did the "enemy sow"? = the "tares", i.e. the children of the wicked one. WHAT is the "harvest"? = the end of the world - NOT the "Rapture". WHO are the "reapers"? = the angels.
Quote:
40 As therefore the tares are gathered and burned in the fire; so shall it be in the end of this world.
{WHO are the "tares"? = the children of the wicked one. WHO is going to be "gathered" & "burned"? = the "tares" = the children of the wicked one. NOT - the children of the kingdom! WHEN is this going to happen? = in the end of this world. - NOT the "Rapture".}
Quote:
41 The Son of man shall send forth his angels, and they shall gather out of his kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity;
{WHO is going to "send forth His angels"? = The Lord Jesus Christ. WHAT is going to be "gathered out of His kingdom"? = all things that offend. WHO is going to be "gathered out of His kingdom"? = them which do iniquity (the "tares"- i.e. the children of the wicked one - NOT - the children of the kingdom!}
Quote:
42 And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.
{WHO are the angels going to cast into "a furnace of fire" = the "tares"- i.e. the children of the wicked one. NOT - the children of the kingdom!}
Quote:
43 Then shall the righteous shine forth as the sun in the kingdom of their Father. Who hath ears to hear, let him hear.
{WHO is going to "shine forth as the sun in the kingdom of their Father"? = the children of the kingdom! WHO "hath ears to hear, let him hear"? = The Jews in Jesus' time (and probably the Jews and others in the Tribulation.)}

I don't have room to demonstrate, but I assure you that we (born again Christians - Members of the body of Christ - i.e. "The Bride") are NOT "the children of the kingdom of heaven" - "For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones." [
Ephesians 5:30]. And secondly God is NOT going to burn up His children (whoever they may be), after all they are the Father's children, NOT the devil's!

This is known as: "rightly dividing the word of truth".
If a person does not recognize the "differences" between, the JEW (Israel), the GENTILE (the World), and the CHURCH (Christians), they cannot "make sense" of the Scriptures. If a person FAILS to "rightly divide" - in the end they will have to "HARMONIZE" the Scriptures, and make them "FIT" together in some manner that will contradict other Scriptures.

God has set up His Holy Bible in such a manner that the only way that we can discern the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, is by "rightly dividing the word of truth". If we want God's approval we "must" rightly divide God's word. The Lord did not "suggest" that we rightly divide His word - He has commanded us to!

Last edited by George; 09-11-2008 at 02:06 AM.