View Single Post
Old 02-19-2008, 01:04 PM
Forum Administrator

I think an understanding of what vengence actually is might be helpful. I wrote a short essay related to this last year: http://www.brandonstaggs.com/2007/07...nse-vengeance/

My essay doesn't have anything to do with war, but I do try to show what vengeance is. The Old Testament gives us a very, very clear explanation of what is and is not vengeance.

As for war: God has said that he will call nations to war. The New Testament also clearly requires us to be in subjection to our government, and when our government calls us to war, we have to obey unless there is something exactly contrary to God's word about what we are being told to do.

I think volunteering to join the military is an entirely personal matter and between a man and God; none of my business.

The New Testament records Christ's first dealings with a centurion in Matthew 8. Note that this man was more faithful in one way than Christ's own disciples were! Search the NT for "centurion." It's an enlightening study and no Christian has any basis for having anything except respect for honest military men doing service. (I also can not find any reference in the NT were a military man is told to quit his service because it is incompatible with Christian living.)