View Single Post
Old 05-20-2008, 11:41 PM

Toiwnz:--- Hello again. A word of caution to you,,,from the words of a song by Lynn Anderson..." Better look before you leap---Still water runs deep---and there won't always be someone there to pull you out..."

You said that you had a young family,right? Drill Instuctor Duty is somedays 24 hours. Each night one of the D.I.'s pulls "The Duty" and has to spend the night in the Squad Bay with the Recruits. My Platoon (2049) had 4 D.I.s, but most have 3...(unless things have changed-?) , which means every third (or 4th) night you'll not be at home. Check with your wife and explain this to her and your child. It's better to communicate with her and get some dialogue/chit-chat/thoughts.

Another thing: Some D.I.s (and several Policemen) have been known to "bring-the-job-home",,,in other words: They forget that their children are NOT Recruits, and that their wife is to be treated as "the weaker vessel", and loved. Don't make the family dread the idea that Dad is coming home in 15 minutes...(IMO---)

As a prior service Marine---who noticed that many Marine marriages did not last ...I'd suggest that you stay with your Primary MOS and learn every aspect of it, so that if asked by the unit's Master Gunny or your CWO you can and will teach the newbies that report in to your Duty Station. Take the M.C.I. mail courses and learn another MOS that is in a related field. This way you can be a good example to the non-believers, and be so valuable to the Unit's OIC and NCOIC that they keep you there, and your wife and offspring will see you more often, and you can more regularly attend church services.

Hope this helps you.