View Single Post
Old 02-27-2008, 07:49 PM
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth View Post
I currently have this Bible. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0521164389 hopefully this is a good one? I'm not sure how I would know? This is all quite confusing to me.

and would like to add the Interleaved Bible HAND BOUND NOTE BIBLE on the bottom of this site. http://www.pilkingtonandsons.com/interleavedbibles.htm it's out of stock right now. I would like to use this Bible for note taking, (if anyone else has any other suggestions that would be great)

Any way the Interleaved Bible Hand Bound says this: "Cambridge King James Version Text" and that's it. How do we know which Cambridge text it would be. Do you think it would be the same as the one I currently have?
The Concord is a "newer" edition that Cambridge started printing some time in the 80s I think. It is still a King James and I won't tell anyone to not use it. However, it does appear to incorporate some of the non-pristine Oxford readings. But an Oxford is a KJV too.

What is odd about the Concord is that it has selectively americanized spellings of some words (like rasor to razor) but most of them have not been americanized.

I wouldn't know about the interleaf Bible. You would have to compare it I guess.

I would not worry about your Concord. I have one that I used from around 2001 until this year when I replaced it with a Cambridge "large text edition" without references or margin notes which also lines up more closely with the "pristine" c.1900-1980 Cambridge text, though it still isn't an exact match.

It is necessary that we be intellectually honest and acknowledge that different KJV printings do have slight variations. However, none of the differences that I have seen actually cast doubt on what God actually said. While I agree that the c.1900-1980 text is the most pristine edition, I can't find cause to tell people not to buy new Bibles just because they don't match exactly.

I would really like to see the c.1900 text used as the standard for new printings of the KJV, and I am going to use it as the standard for my Bible software in future updates.