View Single Post
Old 01-12-2009, 03:14 AM

Default Nope, not expired !

Steven Avery --- Pretty good post.

There is another aspect of the "Original Tongues" or languages that has some bearing on the topic...( I think so...? ).

While I hold that most ( if not all of the O.T. was written in Hebrew and the N.T. in Greek--- That being the "Lingua Francua" (language of finance) of the Mediterranian World and was understood by many folks even though they were not born in Greece... It is highly probable that other languages were used to convey the Gospel message into the places that the other Disciples/Apostles went to. Those men went to faraway places to spread the Gospel, and all of them got very violently dead!

There was a man named George Lamsa who was of Assyrian heritage. His point of view or theory was that the first N.T. was written in Aramaic-Peshitta language and the Greek came second. He and folks from his home country seem to be the only ones that hold to this idea. If memory serves, the earliest Aramaic-Peshitta texts are about 200 or 300 (?) A.D. , whereas the oldest scrap/fragment of the Book of John is written in Greek and dates to the 1st Century A.D..

Lamsa translated (with some help) the Peshitta into an English Translation. He called it The Holy Bible from Ancient Eastern Manuscripts, about 1957 or close... It is still in print. I read the Intro/Preface to it some years back when I had some free time at the Book Store. Oddly enough ... for some reason they have examples of where they (Lamsa and co.) have corrected what the A.V./K.J. says... because they believe the A.V./K.J. has some boo-boos because it uses the Greek Texts.

IMO if they want to get folks to read their Aramaic-Peshitta based version they should show the contrasts between the Greek word(s) and the Peshitta word(s), not taking another anti-A.V. shot.

Okay... I mentioned that about Lamsa's version because of Steve Avery's mention above of the Latin, and the Hebrew and Greek languages. It reminded me of an incident at the Book Store..(wished I had kept a log/diary, each day had a twist.)... some fellow came in and wanted the Lamsa Translation because he had been told it was THE BEST one 'cause it didn't come from Greek texts, but rather Aramaic and "eevverryybody" knows that the N.T. was first done in Aramaic-Peshitta...

... rather than tell him he was stooopid and his mother dressed him funny ,,, (remember we where in a store/shop and the idea is that "The customer is always right"... a bogus lie, btw... 1/4 of the customers don't know their left from their right ! ) I said something like--- " Sir are you a Christian ? Yes I am. Good-- then lets look at the Bible itself and see if we can find the answer. He said OK! " I got each of us a copy from our used book section and opened up to Luke 23:38 and John 19:20 . I pointed out to him that it says Pilate had that sign written in 3 languages. Hebrew and Greek and Latin... Not Aramaic ! He didn't know what to say. { I lost a potential sale, but hopefully set him on the right path.}