Thread: I Corinthians 5
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2009, 02:48 PM

Sis Amanda,

I wanted to add something about COVETOUSNESS. You had said that you didn't think anyone had been "put away" from the brethren for this sin. It is a crucial "turning point" sin because, before anything else much more grievous happens, what occurs first? COVETING.

I think COVETING is another way of saying LUST. But it is having that desire for something that isn't ours.

If someone were to commit adultery, what did they do first? They LUSTED and COVETED (like David with Bathsheba) he saw her, the wife of another man, and he lusted after her and coveted her. He couldn't have her because she was the wife of another man. So what did that lust and coveting lead to? Not only ADULTERY, but MURDER.

If someone were to commit theft, what did they do first? They LUSTED and COVETED - it was something that did not belong to them... they COVETED it, so then they decided to steal it. One thing leads to another.

Think of the ORIGINAL SIN OF ADAM AND EVE. Eve saw the fruit, she desired it - she LUSTED for it - and then she committed the sin of disobedience by eating it and then offering it to her husband to eat also.

I think that James describes the relationship of coveting as a sin related with the more grievous sins.

James 1:13 Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:
14 But every man that is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.
15 Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.
16 Do not err, my beloved brethren.

Jassy