View Single Post
Old 07-12-2009, 07:02 PM

Hey and howdy all,

I have been reading the replies to my posting and I think I need clear up something.

Quote:
Let’s take a look at an example of a Webster’s definition. (This one caught my attention this morning; it is not a reflection of the member who used it his post. Just an example)

Pastor - noun
1. A shepherd; one that has the care of flocks and herds
2. A minister of the gospel who has the charge of the church and congregation, whose duty it is to watch over the people of his charge, and instruct them in the sacred doctrines of the Christian religion. http://1828.mshaffer.com/d/word/pastor

Look at the definition, especially item 2. “instruct them in the sacred doctrines of the Christian religion” Where do we get our doctrine we live by brothers and sisters? Is it from religion or from the Holy Word of God?
I think I may have been misunderstood in my original post. My critique of the definition, was not aimed at the role of the pastor in the Bible.

Let me state this clearly, I AM NOT ANTI-PASTOR, I believe in the role of pastors in the church.

My contention was with the definition, the learning of doctrine from religion. We should get our doctirne from the Holy Bible. If a pastor isn't teaching it from the Bible we should separate ourselves from his teaching and go elsewhere. If anyone teaches a doctrine and bases it on what his church/denomination says we should not acccept it as fact.

There is an old saying I heard which I have always applied in my search for understanding and knowledge. "Just because I say it, or they say it; don't believe it search it out for yourself"

I have been in churches where people were taught the leadership was above reproach in all matters. I separated myself from them. The Holy Spirit is our only source which is above reproach he uses the Holy Word of God to speak to us as well as in our hearts.

I appreciate all who responded to my original post. Both sides made excellent points. But my post was not to belittle the pastor's role. As I stated:

Quote:
Let’s take a look at an example of a Webster’s definition. (This one caught my attention this morning; it is not a reflection of the member who used it his post. Just an example)
I only used that definition because it caught my eye this morning, and what Mr. Webster had said about where we get our doctrine.

I use Webster's, in fact I used it in my devotions/bible study the other night. I am reading in Genesis and ran across a word that I couldn't remember what it meant. A term related to a certain plant, not a spiritual word. And actually it started me on a thought process which I making for a great indepth Bible study.

Many years ago when I was still a teen, every Sunday morning our regular schedule was to have a certain preacher/pastor out of Virginia on the TV while we got ready for church. I loved to sit and listen to him. I had dreams of being a preacher one day, though I was unsaved at the time, but thought I was. One morning he made a statement about some item in his sermon, that same morning we covered the same passage in sunday school. My SS teacher interpreted it differently. Both men were Baptists and much more knowledgeable than I was, but it hit how two could be different in their views. I looked at the scripture later on my own and looked at verses that had the same words using my concordance in the back of my Bible. I didn't see it as either one of the men had. But it made sense to me.

And we have all heard that old saying, "When the plain sense of scripture makes common sense, then seek no other sense."

Am I a genius when it comes to the Holy Word of God? NO!! I am a just a saved sinner who has the privilege of God speaking to me through his Word and the Holy Spirit.

Now I have rambled off on a rabbit trail, but the short point is we must test everything we learn or hear against Scripture.

Nuff said,