View Single Post
Old 02-14-2009, 03:43 PM

Default Re: " CALVINISM: Sound Doctrine?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1171611 View Post
Bro. George,

I don't want to sound like I'm limiting God or questioning His power, but is there anything in Scripture that states that God emphatically does know everything? Obviously there are certain things that are set in stone through history (Jesus being slain from the foundation of the world, etc.) and He will bring about His will, but the Bible says that Jesus knew their thoughts as they thought them, not that He knew what they were going to think.

Any ideas?
Aloha brother,

The question that you ask has to do with the makeup & operation of the "Godhead" - Father/Son/Holy Spirit [Acts 17:29; Romans 1:20; Colossians 2:9] and I do not profess to understand very much about "It", other than to say I believe in it.

Acts 15:18 Known unto God are all his works from the beginning of the world.

I try real hard to avoid speculation when it comes the word of God, and the Scriptural "Godhead" is one of the most difficult of all doctrines to discern and understand in the entire Bible.

How can one explain God (the Son) being born - becoming a baby? How does a person understand God (the Son) growing up: first as an infant; then as a child; and then becoming a man? I don't profess to understand it - I, by faith, just believe it.

It is obvious to me that, while on the earth, the Lord Jesus Christ (unlike the Father & Holy Spirit) was "limited" (by His earthly body) in that He could not be everywhere at one time (He was not - Omnipresent). He could get hungry, thirsty, weary & tired, and He suffered and could feel pain (He was not - Omnipotent).

Romans 1:3 Concerning his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, which was made of the seed of David according to the flesh; [Acts 2:30-31; Romans 9:5; 1Peter 3:18, 4:1-3; 2John 1:7]

And although Christ "knew" what was in men's hearts [Matthew 9:4; Luke 5:22, 9:47 Acts 1:24] - an "Attribute" that only God possesses [1Kings 8:39 & 2Chronicles 6:30], it would appear, because of His physical limitations, that He did not know all of their thoughts - unless he came into contact with them; and even then, He possibly may not have known "everything" about what they would think in the future (He was not - Omniscient).

Read the Book of Hebrews {Matthew/Acts/Hebrews/Revelation = the most difficult Books in the Bible to understand} and you will get just an inkling of the difficulty in understanding just exactly how the Lord Jesus Christ was governed, and executed the attributes of God, and operated within the Godhead while in His flesh. I for one, confess that I do not understand how this was accomplished. I only know that Jesus Christ was God "manifest in the flesh" [1Timothy 3:16] while on earth. How the Godhead accomplished this is still a mystery to me.

The following excerpts from Hebrews will give you an idea:

Hebrews 2:5 For unto the angels hath he not put in subjection the world to come, whereof we speak.
6 But one in a certain place testified, saying, What is man, that thou art mindful of him? or the son of man, that thou visitest him?
7 Thou madest him a little lower than the angels; thou crownedst him with glory and honour, and didst set him over the works of thy hands:
8 Thou hast put all things in subjection under his feet. For in that he put all in subjection under him, he left nothing that is not put under him. But now we see not yet all things put under him.

9 But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man.
10 For it became him, for whom are all things, and by whom are all things, in bringing many sons unto glory, to make the captain of their salvation perfect through sufferings.

For both he that sanctifieth and they who are sanctified are all of one: for which cause he is not ashamed to call them brethren,
12 Saying, I will declare thy name unto my brethren, in the midst of the church will I sing praise unto thee.
13 And again, I will put my trust in him. And again, Behold I and the children which God hath given me.

Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil;

And deliver them who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage.

16 For verily he took not on him the nature of angels; but he took on him the seed of Abraham.
Wherefore in all things it behoved him to be made like unto his brethren
, that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people.

18 For in that he himself hath suffered being tempted, he is able to succour them that are tempted.

Hebrews 4:15 For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.

Hebrews 5:7 Who in the days of his flesh, when he had offered up prayers and supplications with strong crying and tears unto him that was able to save him from death, and was heard in that he feared;
8 Though he were a Son, yet learned he obedience by the things which he suffered;
9 And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;

Hebrews 10:5 Wherefore when he cometh into the world, he saith, Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not, but a body hast thou prepared me:
6 In burnt offerings and sacrifices for sin thou hast had no pleasure.
7 Then said I, Lo, I come (in the volume of the book it is written of me,) to do thy will, O God.
8 Above when he said, Sacrifice and offering and burnt offerings and offering for sin thou wouldest not, neither hadst pleasure therein; which are offered by the law;
9 Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second.
10 By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.

Hebrews 12:1 Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,
2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.
3 For consider him that endured such contradiction of sinners against himself, lest ye be wearied and faint in your minds.

There are precepts, principles, and fundamental tenets found in the Book of Hebrews which no man has been able to fully understand or fathom. Someday (soon I hope) when I come face to face with my Lord and Saviour I shall know [1Corinthians 13:9-12]. Until then I will continue to study God's word, determined to know whatever truth He, in His wisdom, is willing to show me.

Does God
"know everything"? Read Job, Psalms, and Proverbs. I believe you will find the answer to your question within the pages of those Books.

Last edited by George; 02-14-2009 at 04:01 PM.