View Single Post
Old 01-02-2009, 11:14 AM

Aloha buzzoff1031,

Of the four Bibles you mentioned you possess, the Old Scofield (boring or not) is the best "study" Bible. I personally do not recommend using "study" Bibles for reading or study.

Since 1970 I have used the best bound King James Bible I could find (with Large enough Print for comfort) without any notes or references - just the Holy words of God. When I study the Bible I have several letter sized Yellow Writing Pads along side, so that I can write down my thoughts or questions on the Scriptures I am studying.

If you are curious about what other people may "think" about a particular verse you might go to the Old Scofield, or a Thompson, or some other reputable King James "study" Bible. But you should not rely on men for the "interpretation" or understanding of God's words. {That's why I don't read or study a Bible with someone else's notes in it, or a Bible with references in it.)

If I want to know what other men "think" about a verse (or subject) in the Bible, I buy their books and read their "opinions". I personally don't like their "opinions" mixed in with the Holy words of God! And I certainly don't rely on other men for my understanding of Scripture.

Please check out a former Post that I made on this Forum last year if you want a further explanation of my position on this issue: http://av1611.com/forums/showpost.ph...39&postcount=1

May God bless you in your studies and give you not only knowledge - but discernment, understanding, and wisdom also.

1 Corinthians 1:5 That in every thing ye are enriched by him, in all utterance, and in all knowledge;

Hebrews 5:14
But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern

2 Timothy 2:7
Consider what I say; and the Lord give thee understanding in all things.
both good and evil.

1 Corinthians 2:5 That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God.
6 Howbeit we speak wisdom among them that are perfect: yet not the wisdom of this world, nor of the princes of this world, that come to nought:
7 But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, even the hidden wisdom, which God ordained before the world unto our glory: