View Single Post
Old 06-06-2009, 09:47 AM

Default Headcoverings.....

Good Morning from campsite in the Smoky Mountains,
I hope this note finds ye well.
I submit the context of 1 Cor. 11:1-16 points to a physical headcovering/veil instead of hair. “Long hair” really doesn’t make sense in the context. If it is just “hair” then praying men should all have their heads shaved. That doesn’t make much sense either. A physical headcovering seems to make the most sense in the context. History seems to favor this view as well. Virtually all commentators before 1800 wrote of a physical headcovering. I bet most of your Christian great-grandmothers wore hats or headcoverings to church. When men are asked to remove their hats for prayer at a ballgame or nascar race in 2009, think 1 Cor. 11.
My beautiful wife (who knows my position on the matter) doesn’t wear one very much and I don’t force her. She may wear one in private without my knowledge. Forced respect (honor v.5) is not really respect, like “earned” grace is not really grace. However, if I see a man praying with a hat on, I will probably (and have before) approach him because he is dishonoring Christ. Probably ignorantly, but nonetheless dishonoring my King. Further, orthodox Jewish men still pray with their heads covered. Christian women have worn headcoverings for the last 2000 years and continue to this day in obedience to 1 Cor. 11:1-16. I humbly submit it is the historically orthodox position.

Blessings to you and yours,
JOHN G

Isa 40:8 The grass withereth, the flower fadeth: but the word of our God shall stand for ever.