View Single Post
Old 07-16-2009, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda S. View Post
I recently posted a status on my FaceBook that Mahatma Ghandi is actually the one that is quoted as saying "Hate the sin, love the sinner" to which several responded that it was a godly attitude to have...

Is there Scripture that supports this specifically? If so, how does one reconcile this "godly attitude" with Psalm 5:5?
"The foolish shall not stand in thy sight: thou hatest all workers of iniquity."
Here's my take on it. Yes, I should hate sin but love the sinner. Paul certainly had a “hate” for sin. In context, he is clearly referencing sin here:

Romans 7:14-15 For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin. For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I.

And the Bible is very clear concerning loving the saved sinner as well as the lost sinner.

Love the saved sinner

John 13:34 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.

He is speaking to the eleven remaining disciples of course, but this certainly applies to all who are in Christ Jesus. Christ loved (loves) us even though we are still sinners (meaning that we still commit sins) and now we should love one another as He loved us.

John 13:35 By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

Romans 12:10 Be kindly affectioned one to another with brotherly love; in honour preferring one another;

Ephesians 1:15 Wherefore I also, after I heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus, and love unto all the saints,

Ephesians 5:2 And walk in love, as Christ also hath loved us, and hath given himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweetsmelling savour.

Love the lost sinner

Romans 5:8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

It seems clear to me that since God loved me as a lost sinner, I should also love the lost sinner and proclaim the glorious gospel of truth, “…how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures” (1 Corinthians 15:3-4). I am changed in that God, the very essence of love, dwells in me through faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. The fruit of the Spirit is love.

Certainly there is scripture that supports the idea we should hate sin but love the sinner.