View Single Post
Old 11-03-2008, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB1789
Some are garbage deluxe paraphrases such as The Living Bible" (which sold bunches!), "The Message", ugh!. And one many of you have probably seen called "Good News for Modern Man" (Todays English Version), it was paperback and had newspaper headlines printed on the cover... but inside was an easy read paraphrase with---do ya remember them?--Stick figure drawings of people throughout the text. It was aimed at getting the hippies/yippies/druggies/college-types (who would not pick-up a regular Bible) to read the Gospel message. It's nickname bacame: "The bloodless Bible", because wherever the word "blood" should have been used--the TEV changed it to "death"/"dead"... You can still see these at thrift stores and used book shops... about .50 cents each.
I had one of those...I remember now. Back when I was about twenty years old, and riding the bus into the city every day to work, I would bring a book with me for the ride. That's when I first read David Copperfield, and Good News for Modern Man. I remember liking it.

But I was unsaved, and remained so for another twenty years. Who knows, though, if some seeds were planted at that time, just to be watered and cultivated almost two decades later?