View Single Post
Old 10-03-2008, 04:32 PM

Default Re: Doxa - "My answer"

Aloha Doxa,

Your Quote:
Quote:
"Some years ago I was in a major discussion on line about our knowledge of doctrine and how important it was to know, etc., but something really hit me with the in depth discussion, that even our knowledge of doctrine will not save us."
1 Timothy 4:13 Till I come, give attendance to reading, to exhortation, to doctrine.
14 Neglect not the gift that is in thee, which was given thee by prophecy, with the laying on of the hands of the presbytery.
15 Meditate upon these things; give thyself wholly to them; that thy profiting may appear to all.
16 Take heed unto thyself, and unto the doctrine; continue in them: for in doing this thou shalt both save thyself, and them that hear thee.

"Doctrine" is extremely important. By believing the "right doctrine" a person is saved! Believing in the "wrong doctrine" will damn a person to Hell!

No one person knows all there is to know about the Scriptures. And there certainly are differences of "opinion", and differing convictions and beliefs amongst Christians - even in Apostolic times (Peter & Paul - Barnabas & Paul). BUT, the fact that we Christians may disagree with each other doesn't negate the necessity to "Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth." [2 Timothy 2:15]; nor does it give us an "excuse" to assume that because of all the differing opinions and beliefs held by Christians that "doctrine" is not all that important.

The truth is, it's NOT: what we each believe in our heart that really matters - It's whether we have believed THE TRUTH (in our hearts) that really matters, and it is THE TRUTH that will determine where we will spend eternity!

Your statement: "something really hit me with the in depth discussion, that even our knowledge of doctrine will not save us." illustrates the danger of going by "feelings" rather than searching the Scriptures to see whatever "hit" you was true. In light of the Scriptures I quoted above - whatever "hit" you wasn't the TRUTH!

In addition, as I have read through your Posts I detect a tendency on your part to lean on your own understanding and personal experiences, rather than the Scriptures. The following statement made by you illustrates my point:
Quote:
"It is like looking at a physical Christian history book, no matter which one one chooses, one pretty much knows how Christianity started, but the end of the book is a free for all, so many thousands upon thousands of denominations, each one having different ideals, the pendulum is wide from one extreme to the other on just about every Christian doctrine. And most new churches probably started by un-reconciliation, arguments, and splits.
So does our knowledge, works, save us? I think we are in trouble, then, actually.
"
Matthew 7:13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:
14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
John 10:9 I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.

The purpose of studying the Scriptures is to "see" whether the "thousands of denominations" and the many "differing ideals" are TRUE or NOT. We are to study the word of God so that we will not be ashamed. We study the Bible and try to "rightly divide the word of truth" because we are seeking God's "approval": [2 Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.].

I care not what men may say - I want to know what God says. ["What saith the Scripture?"]. I am not interested in what I may personally "think" (or "feel") about a matter; or an issue; or a doctrine - I want to know what God says about a matter, an issue, or a doctrine. I do not rely on "personal experiences" in my life to determine the TRUTH of a matter or a doctrine - I go to the Scriptures to see what God has to say and seek out the Holy Spirit's guidance for discernment, understanding, and wisdom.

Isaiah 55:8 For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD.
9 For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.

I do not trust other men to determine the TRUTH for me. To be honest - I don't trust my personal "thoughts", "feelings", or "experiences" when it comes to determining the TRUTH. [Proverbs 3:5 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.] But there are some doctrines that are are of such importance that I will not fellowship with another "Christian" if they do not believe and accept them. {See: AV1611 Forums > Doctrine > "Why isn't the Second day of Creation said to be good?" > Page #4 > My Post #32 for the list}

Doctrine is of the utmost importance. And just because we Christians may differ on "The Gap"; "The Kingdoms"; "The Rapture"; "The timing and purpose of the Tribulation"; or "how to baptize (forward or backwards!)"; or "how to celebrate the Lord's Supper (one cup or individual glasses!)"; or "whether a woman should wear a hat in church or not"; etc.; etc.; doesn't mean that the major doctrines {listed by me on Post #32}, that are of extreme importance, can be ignored or compromised. We are commanded to "contend for the faith", in order to "contend" we have to first know what "the faith" (doctrine) is.

Your statement:
Quote:
"But God looks at the heart. We could even say that there are some places in the Bible that state, who finds salvation, and that is, those who fear HIM.
Which means that they believe in God...and reverence Him.
"
It's true that: "God looks at the heart", but the road to Hell is paved with: "good motives" and "good intentions". Contrary to what you have said - those who "fear" God are NOT necessarily saved! [James 2:19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.] There are many people in the world that may fear God, but if they haven't believed the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ they are as lost as if they never "feared".

Acts 16:30 And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved?
31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.

1 Corinthians 15:1 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;
2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.
3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;
4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:
5 And that he was seen of Cephas, then of the twelve:
6 After that, he was seen of above five hundred brethren at once; of whom the greater part remain unto this present, but some are fallen asleep.
7 After that, he was seen of James; then of all the apostles.
8 And last of all he was seen of me also, as of one born out of due time.

John 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

I know some mighty fine Catholics who "fear" God, but who have embraced FALSE DOCTRINE, and who are trusting in the "church" (or Mary, or the Pope, or some Saints, etc.) to save them. They are sincere in their beliefs, BUT if they don't believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and His finished work on Calvary, and if they don't RECEIVE Him as their personal SAVIOUR - they are going to end up in Hell whether they "fear" God or not!

I don't know of a "nice" way to say that you are mistaken, so I'll speak plainly - Your Posts indicate that you are not grounded in the Scriptures. You need to study the King James Bible and seek out the Holy Spirit's guidance. If you are married you should be receiving instruction from your husband; if you are not married you should seek out a King James Bible believing church (if you can find one) and receive some instruction from a Bible believing man, called of God and, able to teach the Holy Scriptures.

God is not the author of the confusion that is reigning in the churches today - Satan is! And the major reason for the anarchy and confusion is the perverse influence of Humanism that is so prevalent in the world today. Every man (and woman) is doing "that which was right in his own eyes" and are choosing to ignore God's TRUTH:

John 17:17
Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is TRUTH.

The Bible (The Holy Scriptures) is to be our FINAL AUTHORITY in all matters of faith and practice. What we (or others) "think", "feel", or "experience", cannot SUBSTITUTE for the TRUTH of God's words. "But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God." [Matthew 4:4]. I personally, am not interested in whatever "scraps" or "crumbs" that I, or others, may dig up from whatever source there may be. I want to know: "What saith the Scripture?"