View Single Post
Old 03-09-2009, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chette777 View Post
So can a body of which the head is part of Marry itself?
The answer to this question is paramount to the doctrine being discussed, it is foundational to understanding the Church's relationship with Jesus Christ.

Can a body, of which the head is part of, marry itself? YES. Kevinvw already answered this question when he said "One has to go no further than Genesis 2 to get the teaching. Adam is put to sleep and a woman is created out of him and is bone of his bone and flesh of his flesh. Jesus died to purchase a group of people that become bone of his bone and flesh of his flesh."

Eve (a type of the church) was the "body" of Adam (a type of Christ) before she was his "bride", likewise the church bears the same relationship to Jesus Christ. Paul spells this out in Ephesians 5:30-32 when he quotes Genesis 2:23-24.

Ephesians 5:30 For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones. 31 For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh. 32 This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church.

Genesis 2:22 And the rib, which the LORD God had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought her unto the man. 23 And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man. 24 Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.

Eve was taken from Adam's body, she was "bone of his bones, and flesh of his flesh," but she was also his wife! Therein we have a crystal clear type of the church as the bride & wife-to-be of Jesus Christ.