View Single Post
Old 03-26-2009, 02:06 PM

Quote:
How did you formulate that rule of interpretation for the parables, where does it come from?
From a training standpoint, my father, who was my "seminary professor" for 52 years, drilled that guideline into me as I learned the Scriptures.

From a personal standpoint, I examined the parables as I taught them to the children in our church and school. I considered that Jesus used the parables to capture the attention of the listeners, and then the Holy Spirit would open the understanding to those who sought it. The parables had to have a point, not be complex and interlocking with wide-ranging meaning.

Just one example:
Quote:
Matthew 13:24-30 Another parable put he forth unto them, saying, The kingdom of heaven is likened unto a man which sowed good seed in his field: But while men slept, his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat, and went his way. But when the blade was sprung up, and brought forth fruit, then appeared the tares also. So the servants of the householder came and said unto him, Sir, didst not thou sow good seed in thy field? from whence then hath it tares? He said unto them, An enemy hath done this. The servants said unto him, Wilt thou then that we go and gather them up? But he said, Nay; lest while ye gather up the tares, ye root up also the wheat with them. Let both grow together until the harvest: and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, Gather ye together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them: but gather the wheat into my barn.
Who is the wheat? Who is the tares? When is the harvest? Which is gathered first? In one parable, the seed is the Word of God. Is it the same here? WHAT IS THE CENTRAL POINT OF THIS PARABLE?