View Single Post
Old 06-15-2009, 07:56 AM

I've been away from the computer this weekend, and I see you've moved on quite a bit so I'll refrain from pulling up quotes from five pages ago.

However, to all that disagree with the practical interpretation of confessing sins, but rather insist on a strict doctrinal interpretation...

Someone brought up our sanctification in Christ pointing out our position. Position speaks of doctrine, and it is, of course, vital that a believer understand his position in Christ. Yet, have you also failed to see the practical side to sanctification as mentioned in the scripture? That is, the day to day (or commonly known as daily or progressive) sanctification to be gained by all believers.

It is God's call to holiness. In Christ (position) we are made holy (see I Cor. 1:30), yet in our walk, sometimes we are seemingly everything but holy - thus the call to cleanse ourselves from all filthiness, etc. (II Cor. 7:1).

A few verses and I've got to go...

POSITIONAL SANCIFICATION

I Cor 6:1 And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

PROGRESSIVE SANCTIFICATION

II Tim. 2:21 If a man therefore purge himself from these, he shall be a vessel unto honour, sanctified, and meet for the master's use, and prepared unto every good work.

The list could go on, but my time is short. The truth here expressed is the same truth to be received with the former topic. There is a practical walk to be perfected by the believer which includes (among many other things) confession of sins and restored fellowship (I John 1).

The reason that you're not reaching this conclusion is that you are applying each passage ONLY in its doctrinal sense and failing to see the practical. Many of the previous posts have been right on doctrinally, but the Christian walk (and fellowship) is very different that our position in Christ. Exa. ...and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus: