View Single Post
Old 08-17-2008, 11:03 PM
gophgetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by peopleoftheway View Post
Allow sin to be "put to death"? sin will only be "put to death" when our bodies are raised incorruptible. Putting sin to death is saying that it will no longer exist in your life and that is BLATANT self righteousness.

you stated 2nd Peter 1:9
1:9 But he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins.

If sin was put to death he would have said purged from his sins not his old sins.

Romans 5:12,21
Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:

21 That as sin hath reigned unto death, even so might grace reign through righteousness unto eternal life by Jesus Christ our Lord.

Romans 6:12
Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof.

Psalm 25:8
Good and upright is the LORD: therefore will he teach sinners in the way.

John 14:6
Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Who are KEPT BY THE POWER OF GOD through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time." 1 Peter 1:5

Now I know that the sin I am unaware of in my life, sin I do not realise through my simple manly ignorance will be uttered for me.

Romans 8:26-27
26 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.
27 And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.

In other words, the sin I cannot possibly have any words for or speak, in my deepest sighs, the Spirit will look into my heart and he will make the plea to my Father In heaven for me.

To say you, as a man, know ALL the sins that you have commited and ALL the hidden things of your heart is completely and utterly self righteous.
I come to my LORD Jesus Christ in prayer as a sinner, I do not come to him naming individual sins.

In My Saviour's name The LORD Jesus Christ.
"sin will only be "put to death" when our bodies are raised incorruptible."

Greetings Brother
The above statement that you made does not line up with the scriptures. Consider what the Apostle Peter said in 1 Peter 4:1,2.

1 Peter 4:1 Forasmuch then as Christ hath suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind: for he that hath suffered in the flesh hath ceased from sin;

4:2 That he no longer should live the rest of his time in the flesh to the lusts of men, but to the will of God.

Now look at what the Apostle Paul says about this.

Gal. 5:14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

5:15 But if ye bite and devour one another, take heed that ye be not consumed one of another.

5:16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.

A question. If this were not possible, why would the Apostle Paul make such a statement?

"you stated 2nd Peter 1:9
1:9 But he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins.

If sin was put to death he would have said purged from his sins not his old sins."

The reason Peter said "old sins" is because that is all that this type of person has been saved from. They have not been saved from the sin nature that is inherent in all of us. That is what Jesus came to set us free from. Just being forgiven of sins is not salvation. If that were true, then they had salvation under the Old Covenant.

Lev. 5:16 And he shall make amends for the harm that he hath done in the holy thing, and shall add the fifth part thereto, and give it unto the priest: and the priest shall make an atonement for him with the ram of the trespass offering, and it shall be forgiven him.

Gal. 3:21 Is the law then against the promises of God? God forbid: for if there had been a law given which could have given life, verily righteousness should have been by the law.

Jesus forgave sin before He ever went to the cross. There are many examples of this in the Gospels.

"To say you, as a man, know ALL the sins that you have commited and ALL the hidden things of your heart is completely and utterly self righteous.
I come to my LORD Jesus Christ in prayer as a sinner, I do not come to him naming individual sins."

The sins that I have (past tense) committed I do not have to know. When I asked the Lord to forgive me and was converted, the Lord heard my cry and forgave me of all those sins. However, if we have aught against our brother, Jesus commands us to go and make it right with them. We must know what the offense is if we are to make that right.

As far as knowing our heart goes, it is true that the heart of man is deceitful and desperately wicked and none of us in our carnal reasoning can know it. However, God gives us a remedy for this dillema by the word of God. Consider the following scriptures.

John 8:31 Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;

8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

Think about this for a moment. What "truth" is He referring to? The truth about what every piece of furniture in the tabernacle represented? The truth about all the types and shadows in the Old Covenant? I don't think so. The truth He is referring to is the truth about who you are. Look at what Jesus said about the light that He brought to the world.

John 3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

3:19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.

3:20 For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.3:21 But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.

Now look what Paul says about the church that Jesus gave His life for.

Eph. 5:25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;
5:26 That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,
5:27 That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.

If you'll notice, Paul making reference to the laver in the tabernacle. The lave was filled with water and lined with mirrors. James also makes reference to this in the 1st chapter of James.

James 1:21 Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls.(This is written to believers, by the way)
1:22 But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.
1:23 For if any be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass:
1:24 For he beholdeth himself, and goeth his way, and straightway forgetteth what manner of man he was.
1:25 But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.

You will notice that James here uses the word "work" in the singular. We know from the scriptures, that we are not saved by works. But there is a work that does apply to our savation. What work is that? It is the work that you see in the mirror of the word of God. Whenever you read your Bible and you see that Jesus commands us to love one another and you realize that you have hatred in your heart towards another brother, that is your work. You might say, that we can never fully know our own heart. But consider what the Apostle Paul says in the 3rd chapter of Phillipians.

Phillipians 3:15 Let us therefore, as many as be perfect, be thus minded: and if in any thing ye be otherwise minded, God shall reveal even this unto you.
3:16 Nevertheless, whereto we have already attained, let us walk by the same rule, let us mind the same thing.

I realize that this is a long answer to your response but I hope that this helps you see where I am coming from.

Peace.