View Single Post
Old 02-18-2008, 03:19 PM

Location: San Diego, California, the most vile state in the Union

If I may, I'd like to type up this devotional. it is also where I first read Luke 22:36 thank you Brandon for explaining that vexing verse.
Here goes:
"Alvin York, a poorly-educated, red-headed, strapping Tennessean whom his friends called 'Big 'Un", became the greatest hero of World War I. On September 26, 1918, he and his men were ambushed by Germans in the Argonne forest. His bunkmate was peppered with so many rounds his uniform was tor off. Others dropped to York's left and right, and the surviving Americans were pinned down. Rising to his feet, York stepped into hail of bullets and started firing. When his rifle ammunition ran out, he drew his pistol. Bullets and bayonets rained down on him, but in the end York didn't suffer a scratch. He killed the nest of 24 machine gunners, captured 132 prisoners, and singlehandedly saved his men. It was the "greatest single exploit" of World War I.
Ironically, York was a dedicated Christian who had originally requested exeptio as a pacifist. The Sixth Commandment seemed clear to him and he had no desire to fire at anything more than rabbits and squirrels. When the request wa denied, York reported for duty deeply troubled.
But in the army, he met Major George Edward Buxton. One evening the two engaged in a gentle debate of Scriptures. When York quoted the Sixth Commandment, Buxton turned to Luke 22;36: "...he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one." York quoted the passage about turning the other cheek, and Buxton countered with Christ's driving out the moneychangers. York said, "Blessed are the peacemakers", and Buxton said, rende unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's."
Finally, Buxton turned to Ezekiel 33 and read how Israel's watchmen were to blow their trumpets and defend their city. Buxton's eye met York's and it was then, York later wrote, that I knowed I would go to war. I knowed I would e protected from all harm, and that so long as I believed in Him he would not allow even a hair on my head to be harmed.

Your thoughts?

Last edited by Paladin54; 02-18-2008 at 03:22 PM.