Thread: Christmas
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2008, 05:01 AM

Default Luke Chapter 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolando View Post
Well, this is going to be a weird and difficult Christmas. I remember last year Christmas I was still a catholic, still liked Santa Claus, and of course was still an unsaved sinner on his way to Hell. None of these still apply to me (thanks to the Lord Jesus); I'm no longer a catholic, I hate the imposter Santa Claus, and I'm a born again believer of the Lord Jesus on my way to Heaven. It's amazing how much a life can change in just a year! Anyway, I no longer feel like me and Christmas are compatible and I think it may be because I've been mainly exposed to the worldly Christmas and not the "Christian" one. This year I’ll try to focused on the birth of the Saviour and thanking God for sending His Son into the world for us. This may prove to be a difficult Christmas because I’m saved and most of my family isn’t, but then again, I’ll just have to wait and see.
Hello Rolando! I understand your predicament/situation with the family and you being "different" from them this year. My dad was/is a twice a year Church attender and a Free Mason (boo-hiss), Mom was a "Jack-Mormon", and many of the cousins and sister are Mormons, so I was viewed as a bit wierd... No problem---Our Lord Jesus never promised us a "walk-in-the-park".

Okay... I've got an idea for you, since you want to follow Christ,,, at the same time maybe gently nudge your family members into following Him (instead of Mary and the Pope)... Keep focused on Christ by remembering the scripture found in Luke Chapter 1 and 2. Rich, Deep, Truths.

The Christmas hymns are full of great Christology/Theology. I'd suggest you go over to a website www.cyberhymnal.com and look/listen at the words to "Hark the Herald Angels Sing-Glory to the new born King" and many others in the Christmas section. "Oh little town of Bethlehem" , "Angels we have heard on high".

Now, another way of not doing the commercial/Santa thing is to find a Church that has Christmas Eve service and even Christmas Day service. You were R.C. so you might be comfortable in a formal Church setting--- no better thing to be doing on Christmas Eve than to be in a Church at the 11:00pm/Midnite service remembering the birth of our Saviour!

I googled for you and I found a couple nearby your home that will probably be open on Christmas Eve and/or Christmas Day. They are conservative and Traditional in what they believe. Phone/google them and get their service times/directions.

First Reformed Episcopal Church of New York. 317 East 50th Street

Redeemer Reformed Episcopal Church 734 Ocean Ave. Jersey City

There are also a couple of conservative Lutheran groups (synods) that might have a congregation within driving distance of where you live. Look for Wisconsin Synod and also Missouri Synod. Those two groups still believe in the Virgin birth of Christ. Beware---not all Lutheran Churches are conservative anymore, and sadly the synods have gone to using the NIV.

For this Christmas time... it would be a good witness if rather than being a grumpy "scrooge" guy, and making the family think that those "Born-Again" people have ruined their son... They saw you go to Church service and come back singing "Silent Night", and then you can say something like: "Hey family of mine--- Let me read out loud from St. Luke's Gospel about Mary and Joseph, and the shephards and baby Jesus..." Scatter some seeds Rolando. Never know what might grow--- .

BTW--- Many will tell you that Jesus wasn't born on Dec. 25th... So what! Remember the Saviour's Birth and tell folks "Merry Christmas"! Irritate a liberal and the nearby atheist, and the J.W.'s. Revelation 5:12