View Single Post
Old 05-18-2009, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzoff1031 View Post
Forgive me if this topic is discussed elsewhere, but I generally access this site from my phone, which makes it difficult to do searches. Anyway, I want to know how to get started reading and studying the Bible. I'm 28 and, as yet, have not read through the Bible, nor have I read it with any consistincy. I WANT to read the word. I want to study. I just don't know where to even start. Some say keep a notebook. Some say mark your Bibles. What do I mark? Of what do I take notes? How much do I read a day. Where in the Bible do I start? How much should I study. Sorry if these questions seem dumb, but, despite having grown up in a kjv church, I feel lost!
Buzz, I've read this whole thread and I have not seen one piece of bad advice given to you by the others. The difference in this forum as opposed to others is these people here are all caring and compassionate people. This is not a boxing ring as many forums are, and the only one I care to hang out in and interact with people in.

You are not "lost", in my opinion, but are confused. What advice do I give you? You need to start reading the book of Romans and read on through Philemon and then start back at Romans again, Buzz. I make it no secret I am a dispensationalist nor do I keep my views a secret. You need to know who you are in Christ, you will not find this in Leviticus or Hebrews, but in Romans through Philemon.

You need to understand all the Bible is for you, but not all of it is written to you.

You need to understand what God did yesterday(Genesis-Acts 28), what He is doing today(Romans-Philemon), what He will be doing in Ages To Come(Hebrews-Revelation).

If you start in the OT you will hit the begat who begat who begat who begat and you will tire and stop there, and next thing you'll be shaloming and el shadai'ing left and right and trying to keep the Law. The Law was to lead the Jews to Christ and His revelation through Paul to you today in Romans through Philemon will tell you His will for Buzz today.

You cannot fulfill the "Great Commission", it is not to you, your "commission" begins with your next door neighbor and your community, to be a minister of the reconciliation and an ambassador for Christ.

You need to know the difference between a Jew and a Gentile and the third race, the church of the Living God. You need to know the difference between Israel and the Body of Christ, the mystery of Jew and Gentile now together and equal in one Body that was only revealed to Paul. You will only find this in Romans through Philemon because Peter, James, and John did not receive this revelation until Paul got it from Christ Himself. They then continued in the kingdom of heaven gospel because that was their Commission, while Paul preached the gospel for today, the grace of God through Christ crucified to Jew and Gentile apart from the works of the Law.

Find out God's will for today, and you'll only find it in Romans through Philemon, then you can know what He did yesterday and what He will do in the future. Be thoroughly furnished unto good works, be prepared to endure hardness as a good soldier for Christ, preach Christ crucified because that is what He is doing today, the ministry of the reconciliation to wit, God was in Christ reconciling the world unto Himself.

Find out what His will is for you today.

Grace and peace to you Buzz.

Tony

Last edited by tonybones2112; 05-18-2009 at 07:54 PM. Reason: typo